cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is 'Signal Quality' from Cisco Controller?

Mottok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi looking for a little advice, what exactly is 'Signal Quality' shown in the attached image (taken from Cisco controller)?

Is it the same as RSSI (dBm) or SNR? And what do the values on the image tell me about all three user's Wi-Fi connections? Is 0dB good/bad/ok? No idea. 

Many thanks, much appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Many manufactures have different ways of presenting this data. On Cisco, they typical for data is -72 or better and voice is -65 or better. Closer to zero is better, but you would never see anything real close to zero. Take a look at the client device and also compare, that will give you a good idea of how to compare what you see on the controller versus the end device. Take some samples from being right next to an access point, then further away and maybe a few in a different room or area.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Mottok
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that. So do you think that a 0 dB reading means that there is potentially a connection issue?

I ask because as many of us I am working from home without the ability to test these devices at their location. Thanks

Well on your screenshot, the device is connected via ac @41db. The other protocols are 0db because the device is not connected using those. So like I mentioned before, closer to 0 is better, but you usually never see any signal better than 30db-40db.
-Scott

OK so 0db means not connected. The device that was connected at 41db was also one of the 0db connections so I understand that. However the other 0db is a different device, why would there only be a single 0db 'non' connection for a device?

Does it just mean that the device has tried to connect or just hasn't started any data transmissions or something? Many thanks 

The screen shot doesn’t show much. You need to identify if that device is still on the network or not. How I see it from the little info what you posted, the device is not online.
-Scott

Hi, I was paranoid about displaying to much info on the image and was hoping the 0db had an open and shut answer, wishful thinking!

OK thanks, it does sound like some sort of connection was attempted, perhaps with a different band and the device was not or no longer properly connecte. 

OK many thanks for all you help and suggestions.

Just keep in mind that the more info that is provided the better. There are so many different models of controllers and access point that there is no one answer.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card