cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the part number of SFP that is supported on 5520 Wireless controller?

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

How do we determine which model of SFP to procure for a particular wireless controller?

The datasheet of 5520 ctlr says:

● 2 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces or 2 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces ● Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (SFP+) options (only Cisco SFP+s supported), including S-Class Optics ● Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) options (only Cisco SFPs supported), including S-Class Optics

However while creating the estimate, I am struggling to select an appropriate model of SFP.

Kindly let me know if I am missing something

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Go HERE.

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Go HERE.

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.

Hallo

Thanks for your post. I did already check "Cisco 5520 Wireless LAN Controller Deployment Guide" and under chapter "SFP Support"is for the module GLC-SX-MMD a asterisk (*) with the information "Needs GLC-T on Port 1.".

Does that mean you cannot insert a GLC-SX-MMD on Port 1 and Port 2? So you can just insert one in Port 2 while you having a GLC-T in Port 1?

Thanks a lot and best regards

You shouldn’t mix and match. You can use supported sfp modules in either port.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

I dont't want to mix it, I want to use 2 x GLC-SX-MMD but the note by the asterisk does not make sense for me. Why is on the GLC-SX-MMD the note "Needs GLC-T on Port 1."?

Thanks

Hi there,

Cisco documentation is sometimes intentionally confusing to hide the shortcoming of a feature and sometimes we fail to interpret it correctly. In this case , the best I can understand is , that if a GLC-SX-MMD is being inserted in port 2 , you MUST have a GLC-T in port 1. Although, both of these are 1 Gig modules , you can't insert  GLC-SX-MMD in both of the ports. Essentially , as per the guide, "The SFP installed in port 1 determines the modes for port 2 at power-up". So, it looks like the port 1 is programmed to detect only GLC-T module as a 1 Gig module to set both the ports at 1 Gig operation.

Having said that , why don't u go for SFP+ module to make full use of your investment on a 5520 WLC ? SFP-10G-SR looks to be a good option.

Cheers,

Manish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card