What vlan should the WLC management be in

DARRELL MILAM
Level 1
Level 1

We are using wireless controller 5508 and 1142n ap

We have all the wireless configured on vlan 36

the dhcp server is in vlan 1

At present we have the management port on subnet 32 vlan1

And it seems to be working it see all the access points and we are using the wireless with Leo problem.

But is the proper way in setting the management interface port on the controller or should have an IP address and vlan identifier of 36.

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Honeslty, that is up to you.  I have customers that start off WLC and AP all in the same subnet, but it is not necessary.  I also have customers that put the WLC mgmt in the 'server' VLAN, and the AP in their own.

IMHO, I like the WLC to be in 'server' or 'secured' VLAN, then I put the AP in their own VLAN that is locked down to only getting DHCP and talking to the WLC.  that way if someone unplugs an AP and connects something they can't get anywhere.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your reply

If the ap and the management interface are in to different vlan does there need to be another interface created that is in the ap vlan

Nope.  The AP will join the WLC so long as the VLAN's are allowed to talk to each other.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card