cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where can I download the controller for the Cisco 1815w Aironet

mpalmer22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm doing project for a large company who asked me to order a few Cisco Aironet 1815w APs. Now that I have them I don't know where to download the CAPWAP controller based software to configure them (I'm assuming it is a software app similair to what Ubiquiti uses).

I've been searching heaps of Cisco configuration guides for this, and they always mention using a controller, but never provide any download links on where to get it.

Can someone enlighten me on this.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286311152/type/286289839/release/8.5.105.0

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Isn't that just the firmware to upgrade the AP to Mobility Express for self-management. 

Cisco Mobility Express is a virtual wireless LAN controller integrated on 802.11ac Wave 2 access points. Your Cisco 1815w running Mobility Express support up to 50 access points and 1000 clients.

With Mobility Express, you get the most affordable Cisco enterprise-class wireless solution with no physical controller cost, no access point license cost, and no ongoing subscription fee. The rest of controller options (Physical, virtual, cloud) require you to buy them and install.

**Please rate if this response is helpful**

CJ

jturner2720
Level 1
Level 1

A Cisco wireless controller is something you buy. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/wireless-lan-controller/index.html

Either hardware or the software appliance, but either way you'll need to buy it.

The alternative is to stick some of the APs into Mobility Express mode so they act as controllers for the other APs.

originally the controller/WLC was a hardware appliance you needed to buy and install in a cabinet.

later Cisco developed a virtual controller/vWLC you could run under VMWare (on a Cisco UCS server) with the same functionality

and last Cisco developed a technique to run the vWLC AND the access point software on a physical access point

the last is called the Mobility Express software image.

(For large environments a physical appliance is still prefered.)

So if you have a physical or virtual controller in your company you do not need to download and  run the

"CAPWAP controller based software to configure them",

- you connect the AP to your network

- the AP registers itself to the controller (if network properly configured)

- you login into the existing controller

- from the controller you configure the access point.that pushes cthe configuration to the access point.

if you start fresh in a greenfield, then the you need to som more work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card