cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which AIronet model/firmware does allow console management, full features and is standalone?

computerone1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Comming from the Routing/Switching world (Catalyst, ..), I'm confused about the Aironet firmwares.

There is:

• stand-alone vs WLC-controlled
  • Console management vs Mobility-Express (vs WLC-managed ?)
  • K9C vs K9 version

I want a WIfi Access-point which is:

• standalone (ie manageable without a WLC)
  • manageable using console/SSH
  • which supports all Professional features (RADIUS-VlanID, RADIUS-DACL, SNMP, Syslog, …), like a Catalyst

Is it possible? Is this model fit: Aironet 1815I-e Access Point (AIR-AP1815I-E-K9C)? Or this one:Cisco Aironet 1815I-e Access Point (AIR-AP1815I-E-K9)?

I found this thread: (link), but it is not clear enough (it is written in a way that is neither clear nor exaustive). Neither does Cisco documentation.

I am particulary puzzled about what the K9 vs K9c choice fully implies:

• Can you freely get the other firmware and flash the firmware or do you need a support contract?
  • What are the management options in each case?
  • What are the IOS support différences in each case?

Thanks very much for any input

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
The Wave2 models have a new operating system, the 1815 is one of those. With the Wave2 models you have either WLC based or Mobility Express.
In your case you want Mobility Express, so the order number is this one: AIR-AP1815I-E-K9C (The K9C states that it includes a (ME) Controller).

For firmware updates you require a Smartnet contract, get one!
For software, I suggest you use/upgrade to 8.8.120.0.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
The Wave2 models have a new operating system, the 1815 is one of those. With the Wave2 models you have either WLC based or Mobility Express.
In your case you want Mobility Express, so the order number is this one: AIR-AP1815I-E-K9C (The K9C states that it includes a (ME) Controller).

For firmware updates you require a Smartnet contract, get one!
For software, I suggest you use/upgrade to 8.8.120.0.

Thanks for your input. I've orderer a AIR-AP1815I-E-K9C and will post and flag the topic/your answer as soon as I can check with the final hardware!

I have one last question before I can close this topic:

I ordered the K9C model recommended by patoberli, and it perfectly fullfills my requirements.

I am just puzzled about the CLi language used: It is different from the classical IOS CLI (enable, conf t, shutdown, …).

1) did Cisco quit IOS CLI for another syntax along the way? when?

2) is this language restricted to Mobility Express controllers, or is it the same as the current hardware-based WLCs?

Thanks for any input !

WLC CLI was always different from IOS :) It's a remnant of the old Aironet company they bought, if I remember correctly. It's the same on ME and WLC.

computerone1
Level 1
Level 1

A quick summary for  anyone interested in this thread:

The Aironet 1815I-e Access Point (AIR-AP1815I-E-K9C):

• is standalone (ie manageable without a hardware dedicated WLC), because it includes a virtual WLC running as a virtual machine in the AP
  • acts as the WLC in your network if you add more Aironet AP in the network
  • is manageable using console/SSH
  • supports all Professional features (RADIUS-VlanID, RADIUS-DACL, SNMP, Syslog, …), like a Catalyst
  • (has a few capabilities limitations compared with a dedicated hardware WLC)
  • does use the same CLI as the Cisco dedicated hardware WLC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card