cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will resetting a standalone AP cause it to revert to lightweight mode?

KevinHowJones
Level 1
Level 1

I have an AIR 3600 that has been flashed with IOS for standalone mode. If I do a reset using the mode button will it revert back to lightweight mode (and thus need a controller?)

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It would not go back to lightweight mode. I tested on a 3502E standalone mode AP.

button is pressed, wait for button to be released...
button pressed for 22 seconds
process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1
process_config_recovery: image recovery
image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default

examining image...
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default (connection timed out)
ap:

It stops at ap: prompt. Reboot the AP and it comes up as standalone. All the configs are wiped.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It would not go back to lightweight mode. I tested on a 3502E standalone mode AP.

button is pressed, wait for button to be released...
button pressed for 22 seconds
process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1
process_config_recovery: image recovery
image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default

examining image...
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default (connection timed out)
ap:

It stops at ap: prompt. Reboot the AP and it comes up as standalone. All the configs are wiped.

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless there is a lightweight image on a TFTP sever reachable via 10.0.0.1.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
To add something more to omc79 answer, the AP actually has two images for download available. A standalone image (which you are probably running now) and a lightweight image. For disk space reasons, it can only have one installed and you'd need to manually convert it to the other image, if you want to change the mode. This is not anymore true for the 1800, 2800, 3800 series and newer though, but all older models are like yours.

KevinHowJones
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks for all the replies.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card