cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will the 2504 WLC internal DHCP give IP addresses to clients?

shadowplay101
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to configure the 2504 WLC so that its internal DHCP only services the LAPs?

I don't want the controller to give out IP addressed to wireless clients.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

David Watkins
Level 4
Level 4

No. 

DHCP on the WLC is never intended to offer DHCP services to any "wired" side devices, which includes your APs.  These DHCP pools are specifically to hand addresses out to wireless clients attached to WLANs of the specific WLC it is configured on.  Even then, unless you absolutely cannot offer DHCP somewhere else, DHCP on the WLC is not a suggested practice.

DHCP Pool Configuration and Restrictions.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration-guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_01000110.html

Thanks David.

But don't I need DHCP enable so that the LAP gets an IP address in order to join the WLC.

My LAP wouldn't join the WLC until I enabled DHCP.

No, that is not the intended use of the internal DHCP server on the WLC.  I have seen some versions of code/platforms that will leak and offer DHCP to "wired" devices (such as your APs), but that is incorrect behavior.

Your APs need to get a DHCP address from somewhere other than the WLC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card