Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows CE can't connect to 2802 Access Point

PatrickOS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We're currently migrating a Juniper based wireless network to Cisco wireless. We're using one SSID with EAP-TLS to connect some Windows Mobile and Windows CE devices. Lately we have found a problem that our Windows CE devices can't connect to access point from type AIR-AP2802E but they can connect to access points of type AIR-CAP3702. I have looked at the logs for the connection of the Windows CE device to a AIR-AP2802E and couldn't find any problems. The device is authenticated and then get an IP address from DHCP (I have also tested static IP address, but still not connected). If you open the Wireless Config application on the Windows CE device you can see a successful connection with the IP address from DHCP for a few seconds and then the device jumps to the next access point in reach. If no other access point signal is available the device just stops the wireless connection and after a few seconds it tries to connect again. If we go with the device to an area with AIR-CAP3702 it can connect without any problem. We use the same SSID configuration on both type of access points.

Our Windows CE device is a Zebra VH10 with WinCE 6 v12.6 from March/April 2018.

Do anyone one about a problem with Windows CE devices and AIR-AP2802E access point? Or have anyone else a good advice to solve the issue?

Thanks,

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Solution: Upgrade WLC to 8.5.135.0 and the set the client to use only AES as encryption solved the problem.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What firmware is the controller running on? It could be CSCvd09240.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for not adding the software version of our wireless controller initially. We're using 8.2.166.0 with a Cisco 5508 HA pair.

My comment on the linked Bug: We couldn't find a problem with the EAP-TLS authentication process, it works also on another type of access points. And in addition we're using EAP-TLS with a RADIUS ISE in the backend, so no local EAP-TLS authentication and we have some Windows 10 clients on the same infrastructure with another SSID which is also using EAP-TLS and no problems with AIR-CAP3702 or AIR-AP2802E access points.

Best Regards,

Patrick

Don't trust the information(s) found in the Bug ID because they are seldom updated and correct.
My recommendation is to raise a TAC Case and get them to verify if you're hitting the bug or not.
What happens if the SSID is configured for OPEN authentication or PSK?

Hi Leo,

I can connect to it with an SSID with OPEN authentication. I will open a TAC.

Thank you very much,

Patrick

Solution: Upgrade WLC to 8.5.135.0 and the set the client to use only AES as encryption solved the problem.

Is fast transition enable in SSID setting if Enable try testing by disabling this option

If possible please  share debug logs while connecting to  3702 Ap and 2802

Thanks

Hi varun,

Thanks for your reply.

No, Fast Transition isn't activated on the SSID.

Best Regards,

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card