Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless 1 Gig throughput

csocorro1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer that requires to have 1 gig of throughput for the wireless connection.

Assuming I have everything needed from the wireless side (client supporting 802.11ac wave, the proper AP), how should the wired network should be configured?

Does a 2 gig port-channel connecting the AP guarantee 1GB of wireless throughput? That is, as I mentioned before, assuming ideal conditions regarding devices and RF spectrum.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@csocorro1 wrote:

I have a customer that requires to have 1 gig of throughput for the wireless connection.

A full 1 Gbps throughput translate to a lot of money.  Let me explain: 

In order to get this throughput, the AP needs to be cabled up to support >1 Gbps.  This usually means an AP with both Ethernet cables attached.  The ethernet cables will need to be connected to switch that can support Etherchannel and, at a minimum, 10 Gbps uplink to the distro/core.  The distro/core will also need to support not just 10 Gbps but 40- or 100 Gbps links.  

What I'd like to know is does the client have a wireless client that can fully support 1 Gbps wireless throughput or not.

Hi Leo,
Yes, he does (at least that's what I have been assured)
I was concerned about the design of the wired network, however you just clarified it.
Which AP would you recommend to this scenario?
Thank you for your help.

@csocorro1 wrote:
Yes, he does (at least that's what I have been assured)

Ask this question:  What wireless client can push >1 Gbps?  

The answer to that question is:  NONE.  Reason:  In order to push >1 Gbps the wireless client requires a very powerful CPU to handle the speed of the wireless.  A very high powered CPU also means a large battery.  

Currently, no wireless clients can really push >1 Gbps.  

However, if your boss or client really wants a wireless design for >1 Gbps, then you'll need the following: 

1.  APs must support mGIG.  So this means AP3800 or AP 4800.  

NOTE:  There are more problems if an AP gets connected to two 1 Gbps ports.  

2.  mGIG switches for mGIG APs (make sense, no?).  Look no further:  C9300-24UX or C9300-48UXM

3.  uPoE to power up the APs.  Again, C9300-24UX or C9300-48UXM

4.  Uplink module would mean 10 Gbps (or more):  C9300-NM-8X

5.  Distribution/Core:  Must have support downlinks of 10 Gbps

6.  Distribution/Core model:  Cisco 9400 or 9500

7.  Of course you'll need a WLC (or two):  Start with 5520 (up to 1000 APs) and if it's anything bigger then look at the 8540.

Talk to any network integrators.  The above "shopping list" is mucho dinero.  They will be more-than-happy to do business with you on this journey.  

Good luck.

Not Possible.

If you have only single client connect to a given AP, that's the best case scenario. Even in that case you can't get > 1Gbps (assume your AP is 11ac wave1).  As wireless is half duplex, you will be seeing 40-60% of that value as practical capacity of that AP with that best case scenario . Don't forget wireless operation require lot of management & control frame exchange which will not carry any user data. All these taking airtime and affecting your client data throughput (as data frames has to wait for these communication)

When you add more clients then there is too much contention in the cell and throughput of all clients drastically reduced. Therefore, you cannot generate anywhere near to 1Gbps traffic from all wireless clients.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,
Thanks for your answer.
I understand it. However, my question is focused more on the design. How would my wired network should be designed, in order to obtain 1 Gig of throughput at least for that single client?

The same as if you want to have 1 Gig with a wired client. Just that the "client" is the AP in your case.
Alternatively, have a look at the 3800 AP series, which support Mgig, that way you can attach the AP with 2.5 Gig or 5 Gig to the Mgig capable switch. You can save 1 cable this way.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card