Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless AP redundancy

viskrish92
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a doubt on cisco aps deployment. If site survey tells 10 aps are adequate in a floor, for redundancy if we add another 10 will this work any way? As per my understanding, this will create more interference even if we have only 5G enabled. What is the best way to achieve redundancy at ap level? Thanks in avance 

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@viskrish92 wrote:

If site survey tells 10 aps are adequate in a floor, for redundancy if we add another 10 will this work any way?

Adding APs can do one of two things: 

1.  Improve wireless of a certain area or floor space; or

2.  Destroy wireless of a certain area or floor space

Rafael E
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

That does not seem like a smart move if the survey tells you 10 AP then why do you want to add more APs? 

I feel the site survey was not properly done if you are thinking of adding more APs, site surveys should be done based on your requirements and if one is redundancy, in wireless overlapping, and still 10 AP, I do not really see the need to override that work.

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

Wes Schochet
Level 3
Level 3

If you have some spare time, read https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/CVD-Campus-LAN-WLAN-Design-Guide-2018JAN.pdf.  There are many, many design guides for different types of deployments.

However, *as a general rule*, I like APs dense enough that any client can see two or three APs at around -65.  That way if we lose a single AP, there is no real effect.   With 10 or 12 foot ceilings, I usually find placing APs 40 feet apart to work well.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Your question is very hard to answer and almost impossible. You had a site survey done, but you don’t like it. What is your experience with RF site surveys? The best way to get advice if not from the vendor whom performed the survey is to post the survey so we can look at it and tell us what you don’t like and we can gauge if you have a valid question. AP density covers your question especially if you are surveying for overlap and at -65dbm for example, but you also need to properly place the AP’s for roaming and in good locations. Did you have ap redundancy called out in the sow for what you wanted?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card