Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge using Mobility Express

dot1x
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

We are looking to create wireless bridge between 2 sites. We intend to use 1562D Access Point as autonomous APs.

I just checked this AP comes either with Lightweight Image or Mobility Express Image.

Since we won't be using any controller, my question is:

Is it possible to use 1562D for wireless bridge using Mobility Express?

27 Replies 27

I am facing same problem here. we have Purchased 1562I outdoor APs and our customer first requirement is Bridg mode(Point to Point connectivity)

This AP are come along with lightweight image and we convert it to Mobility express but it is of no use because Bridge mode is not supported in this image. Is there any workaround without controller?

Suhas B

I don't think there is any workaround.

Hi Guys,

Just an update. I just went through the datasheet for 1562D and it says, it could be used with Mobility Express.

Flexible deployment modes

Allows for deployment of the 1560 in a variety of ways including point -to-point and mesh networks; it can also be deployed with the Cisco Mobility Express Solution, which is ideal f or small to medium -sized deployments that supports multiple access points without a physical controller; all deployment modes are easy to set up and configure

That's true, 1562 can be act as Mobility Express. That does not allow you to have wireless bridge between given two buildings.

Hope that clears

Rasika

Guess I got excited or misinterpreted the statement.
I'll also have a look at the other AP you suggested IW3702.
Can IW3702 be used for Point to Point/mesh links just like 1532E?

Yes, IW3702 support both Autonomous mode & Lightweight (Mesh/local/FlexConnect/etc)

Rasika

For 120m Line of Sight, which antenna would be suitable to use with IW3702 AP?

iw3702antenna.JPG

Thanks for all the details Rasika, it all cleared my doubts.
Also, is there any specific rule for antennas' coverage range based on dBi values?
I mean an antenna with xx dBi value would be suitable for yy range of distance (in meters)?

I heard somewhere that wireless bridge between given two buildings is now also possible with 1562 I/E/D without controller.

Is this correct ?

I suppose with the "Lightweight AP Software" ?

What particular software version ( or above ) is needed ?

@ciscoazlancco wrote:

I heard somewhere that wireless bridge between given two buildings is now also possible with 1562 I/E/D without controller.

Is this correct ?

I suppose with the "Lightweight AP Software" ?

What particular software version ( or above ) is needed ?

Lightweight AP Software works with Controller.

Since there is no Autonomous Software available, the wireless bridge won't work without a controller.

So, as the far end bridged AP does has a wired connection to the controller, how will it detect the controller ? By means of a wireless connection ? Or does it need a temporally wired connections to set up, broken up afterwards ?

@ciscoazlancco wrote:

So, as the far end bridged AP does has a wired connection to the controller, how will it detect the controller ? By means of a wireless connection ? Or does it need a temporally wired connections to set up, broken up afterwards ?

That's how we did it, temporarily wired connected the AP to set it up and then broken up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card