Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless centralized deployment BYOD

satya mothukuri
Level 1
Level 1

Team,

I am working on a wireless centralized deployment for BYOD. I have few queries on this.

1. As per H-Reap, new devices will not be accepted or connected to network, if i loose my WAN connection. In this case if i give guest wifi who can connect to internet/local server from branch office,which is of no authentication. what will happen to new users,if the WAN link goes down.
  2.   BYOD solution which i saw was only for corporate. Is there any white papers for business use, like my clients come to my office/store with there own device and connect to internet/ my local server.

Regards,

Satya.M

5 Replies 5

Dhiresh Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

I  have done a Tech talk session on  BYOD few months back. It has explanation , BYOD flow, configuration and demo.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/event/12280491/community-tech-talk-deploying-cisco-secure-bring-your-own-device-byod-solution

To answer your questions:

> If WAN connection goes down , and since ISE would be at Central location. New BYOD connections will not happen.

> BYOD has two solutions :One SSID solution and TWO SSID solution. The TWO SSID solution where a guest connects to an open SSID and transferred to a secure SSID matches guests needs for security and providing other parameters like proper vlan etc. Along with that , You can have this solution on Foreign/Anchor to provide security for your company also which is a kind of standard.

Refer to that link.

Regards

Dhiresh

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Tnx Dhiresh,

Let me put in this way. This is not  BYOD  solution,only a guest laptop/ipad is tring to connect guest wifi which is of no authentication and the internet exit is at my branch office only. In this case how the AP behave, will it take new connection or drop the connection?

Regards,

Satya.M 

Hi,

Authentication is open from layer 2 perspective but Are you using any layer 3 authentication which requires WLC ? Normally this is the guest wifif...If yes , then no new connection.

If your "guest wifi" had both layer 2 and layer 3 open , then yes new connections are possible.

Regards

Dhiresh

Our requirement is new customers who come to store should not face any problem because this we are planning to have no auth at any level. he should connect to some servers local to that store. 

Hi,

If no auth is there at any level...then any one can connect but that is sometimes acceptable in the "Customers coming to store" Scenario. For a little more security ..you can use WP2-PSK as well and tell your customers when they enter in to the store. This is also ok even if the WAN connection goes down.

Regards

Dhiresh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card