Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Clients losing ip address

Hi,

We have running issue on Cisco 8.5.135, what we are seeing that connected clients when they machine starts from sleep or idle, the wireless is connected but the IP address is not present. it seems machine has released the ip address and its not connected to the network but wireless is still connected.

The user disconnects and connects again, the ip address is re-assigned and working.

the user idle timeout is set to 1 day and still the issue is still present for the same.

10 Replies 10

What AP model ?

What clients types having this issue ? all clients or specific client devices ? that will help you to narrow down the issue.

If it is seen only in particular device model, I would suggest to upgrade its drivers & see.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

we are using 2800 series or 1800 series AP across the location.

The issue is very random and its not frequent. we have updated the end user drivers for NIC thinking the first thing but it remains the same. the wireless connected but the client ip address is lost. 

I was seeing alot of bug sin 8.5.13x series 

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvg43654 (Cisco Wave 2 APs in FlexConect mode do not forward DHCP NAK to wireless client)

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh86834  (802.11w client association data traffic drops after 802.11r roaming with PMF enabled or optional)

These are all open bugs in 8.5.13X and fixed is 8.5.137.12 which i think is TAC image. i will try to do the work around and see if the issue is getting resolved if not i will request for TAC to give that image and do the deployment with that.

Hi Nitesh,

Do your APs in FlexConnect  mode? As x800 sereis are really newer hardware, they got many issues with recent software versions. (in comparison to x700 series models)

If you get TAC support, then best is deal with them on these engineering images that has fix for specific issues.

Keep us update how things be from now on

HTH

Rasika

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this happening to all clients that has gone to "sleep" or some selected clients?

What is the lease time of the DHCP server?

hi,

it seems wireless clients are effecting some of the users.

i am trying to find out if its located in specific area or not.

Dear,

I'm currently facing the same issue. 2800 running 8.5.135.0. All laptops are foreseen with Intel 8260 running one of the latest drivers.

APs in Flexconnect mode - local switching. I seem to be able to reproduce it when changing between APs which are in different Flexgroups (while the laptop is in sleep).

Were you able to solve it at your end??

Kigo.

Do you have DHCP Required enabled on the SSID?
That can cause such an issue (at least it did 5+ years ago when I still had it enabled).

Hi Patoberli,

DHCP required is disabled on all SSIDs.

Kigo

Then I'm currently out of ideas, never used Flexgroups.
One thing though, the client retains its IP address between those groups?

Hi,

I was able to resolve it by doing an upgrade to stable image of 8.5.135 and issue stopped.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card