Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless mesh design

mohamed arafa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have a question regarding Cisco wireless mesh solution. A large campus that need to be covered with Wi-Fi network (outdoors) to have internet access.

My question is what is the allowed range / distance between a RAP and MAP

What is the maximum distance between each two MAPs. 

Any other considered ions need to be addressed? 

Best regards 

Mohamed 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It all depends geo location and it need to be proper survey need to be done for optimal services.

please look the good guidance document from cisco

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/116057-site-survey-guidelines-wlan-00.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

While the site survey is a good reference I would like to add, it's not as much about range as it is about signal strength/quality that's important and that's based on antennas and power levels. If you use two dish antennas you can have them pretty far apart a couple of kilometers should be possible, but I don't think that's what you're asking for.

Take two access point and two antennas which you plan to use, set the power level you want. Make sure they have LOS, check in the console of the access point how good the access points see each other, when you start hitting -65/-70dB on 5GHz, that's when I would stop. and there you have you distance.

Note that for each hop from the RAP the total bandwidth throughput gets cut in half (unless someone wanna correct me about that, long time since I did mesh).

Best of luck to you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: