cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless mesh question

codewize
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, My recent wireless deployments have been using 1832i WAPs so I understand those pretty well. However, I have a situation where I need to deploy multiple APs  that don't have wired connections back to the infrastructure. I will need 2, maybe 3 APs, 3 SSIDs and maybe 20 clients total.
Switch >>> AP1 >>>> AP2 >>>> AP3

Which AP model can do this. From what I'm reading, is the 1852i the lowest end AP that can mesh? And is that what I want?
They used to call this combined mode (bridge and client) back in the day but I guess it's all just mesh now, which makes sense.

I should also mention that it would be OK if they were stand alone APs, while a controller would be nice, I don't think this size deployment warrants the extra $2k

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You would need a WLC if you want to do mesh. You also need to have good signal between the aps. If you have a lot of building material that can attenuate the signal, mesh is not a good option for you.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I'm a little confused on what APs to choose. Is the 1852 overkill? Some of the docs says the 1700 series supports mesh but those same docs make no mention of the 1850s.
I understand Mobility Express does not support mesh and that I could need a controller, which most likely puts the project out of budget but I'm not sure on that yet.
In that scenario, the root AP connects wired to the controller and the other AP(s) connect to the root AP over air? Is that how it goes

Effectively all 802.11ac wave 2 other than the outdoor APs do not support Mesh (i believe its road mapped but nothing yet).

Two options:

Use older APs like 2700/3700

Use outdoor APs

If you do not have a WLC then you would either need to purchase one, or look at using autonomous APs

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

See that's why I'm confused. This document
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/8-0/design/guide/mesh80/Mesh_Network_Components.html?bookSearch=true

indicates there are several indoor mesh APs.
Additionally many other documents speak of the 1852 supporting mesh

If you look at all the AirOS release notes that support the wave 2 APs up to 8.9 you will see key features not supported are Mesh Mode.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn88mr2.html#ap-wave2

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn89.html#ap-wave2

I believe it is a road mapped feature but currently not supported

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card