cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless N Speeds?

brendand05
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a 1252 access point and have a questions about the connection speed.

I am running off POE which as i understand only has enough power for 1 of the antenna modules.

I have disabled the 5GHz module and am running only the 2.4GHz module.

When I connect to the AP from a Windows 7 laptop which is Wireless N compatible the laptop shows

Radio Type 802.11g and when I connect it shows speed as 54Mbps

Also the AP only lists data rates to 54Mbps. Shouldnt Wireless N support 150Mbps or 300Mbps?

Is there any special config to enable wireless N150/300?

WiFi.PNG

Data Rates.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well on the 2.4ghz you will only see a max of 144mbps. For 802.11n, you need to either use open authentication or wpa2/aes. You must also have WMM enabled. Those are the only requirements you need.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well on the 2.4ghz you will only see a max of 144mbps. For 802.11n, you need to either use open authentication or wpa2/aes. You must also have WMM enabled. Those are the only requirements you need.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Tkip is not supported for 802.11n.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Forgot to mention, only on the 5ghz will you be able to obtain a Mac of 300mbps. This is because you would configure 40mhz channel width. 2.4ghz only allows for the default of 20mhz.

-Scott

My POE (15.4W) only allows one Antenna to be enabled

Depends on what IOS you are running.  If you run the latest IOS you should be able to get two radio modules operational with 15.4w of PoE but with lower MCS rates.

No... The 2.4ghz radio supports b/g and N. The 5ghz radio supports a and N. these radios are backwards compatible so in case you have older clients, they can still connect. If you have an 802.11n client, they will be able to connect using N if you have set it up correctly. But you will only get up to 144 Mbps.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Can a Wireless G client connect to the 5.0GHz A/N antenna?

No.  Only 2.4 Ghz.

No they can't. b/g is 2.4ghz only and a is 5ghz only. Like Leo mentioned, you still can connect the other radio (5ghz).

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

You could maybe buy a power cord so that you can run both radios at full power. The part number is toward the bottom of the doc. Probably can find it cheap online.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b7c6d.html

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Here is the part: air-pwr-sply1

It's cheaper than getting a power injector.

-Scott

So sounds like 2.4GHz only is the way to go and leave 5.0GHz disabled.

Read my first post:  If you run the latest IOS you should be able to get two radio modules operational with 15.4w of PoE but with lower MCS rates.

Check this one out:

http://www.phihong.com/html/poe31x-1at_30w_single_port_midspan.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card