cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless repeater on LWAPP

Wingnut2015
Level 1
Level 1

I certainly hope I searched everywhere before I asked this question but if I didn't please point me at the URL.

I have a 3650 running Cisco IOS Software [Denali], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.3.3 and I have worked out how to convert to lightweight mode and connect some of my 3502i Aironet WAP's with Cisco IOS Software, C3500 Software (AP3G1-K9W8-M), Version 15.3(3)JPC3.

When the WAP's were running Autonomous mode the Asus wireless router in the shed would connect as a repeater to the SSID and connect devices through it to the internet and local shares, etc.

Since I have converted the WAP's to Lightweight mode and joined them to the WLC I can connect the Asus to the SSID but connect get a connection through the WLAN to the internet and the connected devices do not pick up a DHCP lease.

DHCP is being provided by an 1841 router but I can move that to the 3650 if it needs to happen.

I have attached the configs for the WLC, LWAP and Autonomous 3502 access points.

I certainly hope you can point me to the solution.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Edit: Realized I had missed removing a password so changed the file.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would simply leave one 3502 as Autonomous (while connecting to 3650) and let it connect to that wireless router in the shed. In that way you can bring back the service.

In lightweight mode, it won't act as a repeater. Typically Cisco AP could act as wireless client (called Work Group Bridge) and you can connect it to AP managed via WLC.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

I would simply leave one 3502 as Autonomous (while connecting to 3650) and let it connect to that wireless router in the shed. In that way you can bring back the service.

In lightweight mode, it won't act as a repeater. Typically Cisco AP could act as wireless client (called Work Group Bridge) and you can connect it to AP managed via WLC.

HTH

Rasika

Thank you Rasika,

That is what I was thinking I would have to do. Seems a shame to "waste" a WAP to do it but...

So to confirm, I set one WAP up in autonomous mode with the same SSID, WPA security, etc. as the WLAN on the WLC and it then allows the repeater to pass through.

How does the repeater know to connect to the correct WAP when I can only select the SSID? Does the WLC know to pass traffic for the repeater through the correct AP or should I have the autonomous one with a different SSID? If I do that then that AP is definitely wasted as clients then can't roam as freely as I want.

(Musing: turn off all other AP's, connect repeater to autonomous AP on SSID then turn on all other AP's. Repeater should stay attached to autonomous AP. Then all AP's become part of roaming group.)

Having said all that, WGB is another option I will investigate

On another topic (and I probably should open a new discussion in a different section) what software should I be running on the C3650?

When I do a comparison at http://cfn.cloudapps.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/compareImages.jsp it seems IOS 3.6.6E has a vast range of features not included in Debian 16.x but, from what I've read, it is the way Cisco are moving forward.

Once again, thank you

Cheers,

So to confirm, I set one WAP up in autonomous mode with the same SSID, WPA security, etc. as the WLAN on the WLC and it then allows the repeater to pass through.

WLC is not aware of AAP act as repeater. It simply pass traffic thinking another wired device.

How does the repeater know to connect to the correct WAP when I can only select the SSID? Does the WLC know to pass traffic for the repeater through the correct AP or should I have the autonomous one with a different SSID?

I would keep a separate SSID for repeater (between AAP & wireless router)

That is what I was thinking I would have to do. Seems a shame to "waste" a WAP to do it but...

Ideally I would looking to replace that wireless router with 3502 act as WGB (if that server the purpose). If you can use a Cisco AP as a client, that should give better performance over any other 3rd party wireless routers. In that way you can connect it to your normal Lightweight APs as WGB is another client to it.

You can refer below post on how to configure WGB to meet different requirement.

https://mrncciew.com/2013/06/16/unified-ap-wgb-with-multiple-vlan/

https://mrncciew.com/2014/01/04/wireless-wired-clients-behind-wgb/

https://mrncciew.com/2013/06/16/ios-ap-wgb-with-multiple-vlan/

https://mrncciew.com/2013/04/30/wgb-with-capwap/

On another topic (and I probably should open a new discussion in a different section) what software should I be running on the C3650? it seems IOS 3.6.6E has a vast range of features not included in Debian 16.x but, from what I've read, it is the way Cisco are moving forward.

I would stick with 3.6.6E unless you go with new features. 16.3.x is not that stable yet, so not recommend to go with that.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks again Rasika,

You have been most helpful. Looks like I need more hardware. :)

Now to work out how to downgrade the IOS. :(

Cheers,

Now to work out how to downgrade the IOS. :(

Here is the info you want to follow to downgrade

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-3/release_notes/ol-16-3-3850.html#pgfId-1195184

First do that & see it make any difference to that wireless repeater connection. If that works, then you save lots of  your time

HTH

Rasika

Rasika,

I had already downgraded before I read you reply but thank you. Have to say the GUI in 13.x is much better than remembering the CLI entries :) and having a decent dashboard certainly is nice. Hope they get it sorted soon.

My plan is to have the following setup, please tell me if any part of it won't work or if I need to change something.

VLAN 1 management VLAN
VLAN 10 wired (full acces as required)
VLAN 20 wireless trusted (internal shares, printers, internet, etc.)
VLAN 30 wireless untrusted (internet access only)

SSID A (Radio 0 and 1)
SSID B (Radio 0 and 1)
SSID C (Radio 0 only with unique WPA2 security)

LAP 1 SSID A and B
LAP 2 SSID A and B
LAP 3 SSID A and B

AAP 1 SSID A, B and C

Repeater connects to SSID C

All wired devices connect on VLAN 10
SSID A connects on VLAN 20
SSID B connects on VLAN 30
SSID C conects on VLAN 20

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Cheers,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: