Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Site Survey - TX Power of wifi devices

Philanthropist
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

is there any documentation or reference material available for different wifi capable devices of their transmit (TX) power e.g wireless printer, laptop, smartphone etc ?

I know how much an access point can transmit on different spectrum e.g 2.4GHz and 5GHz but having hard time to find wifi tx power of different wifi capable devices in order to avoid one way communication. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You typically have to go to the products manufacturer site to get this info.  There is no one place that collects this information.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello!

I have nearly same problem. I would like to make a site survey in warehouse for barcode scanner. I think access points with high antenna gain is not a good idea because client's device will have good signal from AP, but in some places would not transmit data to AP due to poor transmit power ( one way communication).

But in warehouses most important is transfer data from  Barcode scanner to AP.

How can I check transmitting data from scanner to Cisco AP and data rate or signal strength from any device with low Tx power setting to Access Point? I have Ekahau external wireless network card (with Ekahau Site Survey tool), but could not find any information about changing default Tx power on this wireless NIC. 

My idea is set Tx power on Ekahau network card as typical barcode scanner's Tx Power and check data transmitting from notebook (with Ekahau NIC) to AP in different location.  Is it good idea?

Thank for answers! :)

Which barcode scanner are you using Motorola's?  If you are, their transmitters output power is around 100mW.  Best thing to do would be reach out to your vendor and ask them to provide you with that information.  You want to make sure there is no asymmetrical power going on between the AP and the client.  Are you looking to deploy AP's with 2.4 or 5?  Setting the power on the NIC to 25 to 50mW is something I would go with.  Normally in Ekahau predictive I will set the AP's to 50mW this gives you some redundancy as well in case one AP goes down.

Success of warehouse deployment also depends on how you get the AP's installed in the aisles and how you setup the client profile.  Hard coding the Motorola devices to use 5GHz if you are using 5GHz is a good practice if they switch between the two, it will interrupt user connectivity and if they are using telnet/ssh sessions they will get locked and will need to start all over again.  Don't forget about the use of DFS channels if you are going with 5GHz.  1) not all devices support it 2) some support it but not by default such as Motorola 41N0 3) some support it but will require you to enable 802.11h in the controller.  I have seen it many times where this was not considered and there were coverage gaps and everyone was suggesting to just install more AP's instead of finding out the root cause.

Also if you can drop the AP's 5' to 10' that helps but normally difficult because Forklifts end up hitting the AP's.  I have used Cisco AP's with 2524 antennas and have been pretty successful.  I have also used patch antennas, but that requires bit of a work and testing.  Also pay attention of aisle width and rack width as well as what is going in those racks.  Single rack vs double vs quad will show different signal loss. 

If the aisles are longer you will most likely need to deploy two Access points in the aisles.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Hum.. So if the AP is transmitting at 100mW and the client is capable of transmitting at 50mW, should I use for a site survey 25mW as power setting or should I do the site survey with the least client device power?

http://clients.mikealbano.com/

try this site

A

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card