Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless validation survey

joanaschw
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.
I've been hired to perform a report of a wireless site survey, and I'm wondering if it should include the credentials for access points and cisco controller.
I couldn't find this information online.

I've another concern about the power settings to perform the site survey. The clients tx are around 20mW, and the AP should be between 100mW and 50mW.
should I set the survey client to 20mW also?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are some wireless clients, for instance, that will talk in 2.4 Ghz and 1- or 2 Mbps data rates.
Some clients only talk in certain channels, like UNII-1 only.

Sniff around the site.  There are sites where DFS are pretty strong (from radars).  So you either configure your channels correctly or position the APs in a particular way to minimize the impact of the radar blasting through. 

Does the client have any outdoor requirements?  If they do, is the client going to be using a certain glass that is called "low-e" or not?
You must first determine what are the client's worst wireless client in order to be able to start making a design or placement.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Power level all depends on the place and environment, there not thumb rule which have to be fixed.

I stongle suggest good tool for Survey and diagnosis  below tool :

https://www.ekahau.com/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before starting off with the survey, talk to the client and find out what is their WORST wireless device.
If it's possible, centre the survey around 5.0 Ghz and set the radio power to half power.
It is also very important to use the exact model of AP that will be be deployed. This is highly important and a lot of clients don't seem to understand or grasp how critical this is.

Sales plug:  50% More Access Points (BUY 2 Cisco access points and get 1 free)

NOTE:  This is not global.  Check the T&C.

Hi Leo.
so If the worst client is around 20mw, should I center the survey to 10mW? I suppose with half of the worst client, I cover all the scenarios, ensuring that all clients will have connectivity.

I will use ekahau for the survey, I'm still beginner.
regarding the credentials of the controller and APs, I try to find documentation of Cisco. Should be part of the final post validation survey or not?

There are some wireless clients, for instance, that will talk in 2.4 Ghz and 1- or 2 Mbps data rates.
Some clients only talk in certain channels, like UNII-1 only.

Sniff around the site.  There are sites where DFS are pretty strong (from radars).  So you either configure your channels correctly or position the APs in a particular way to minimize the impact of the radar blasting through. 

Does the client have any outdoor requirements?  If they do, is the client going to be using a certain glass that is called "low-e" or not?
You must first determine what are the client's worst wireless client in order to be able to start making a design or placement.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As its a validation survey suggest that you conduct it with software like Ekahau Site Survey or similar.

I would do some testing to find out the offset between what your survey hears an AP and what the clients hear it, and you can use an offset to show coverage from that device rather than your survey NIC.

Around details on the installed APs, I wouldn't go into much details other than maybe where they are installed, no data sheet stuff, unless your also recommending upgrades/ replacements

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card