cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless

androsian
Level 1
Level 1

I have an AP that failed. I need to replace it. However I cannot find that AP in the any of my the controllers. I see the AP list on the controllers' web GUI. However the MAC for this AP is not on the list. How do I identify what the previous configuration of this AP was. Was it lost when the AP failed.  By the way the AP that failed does not boot at all. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unless it's in Flexconnect mode, you typically don't configure individual APs on Cisco. You only configure the WLC. Once that's done, you simply add a new AP to the correct VLAN and it will discover the WLC and the WLC will push the global configuration to the AP.
If you use AP groups, simply add the AP to the AP group once it's done the automatic software up-/downgrade and is visible to the WLC for 5 minutes.
You could manually configure power/channel settings and the name on the AP, but those are optional steps and only required if you have disabled all RRM features.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

RaffyLindogan
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi mate,

Do you know the hostname of your AP?

You have few options:

1. Check on CLI (show ap join stats summary all), this would show you all the aps that has joined the wlc. You should be able to see that there

2. Check logs on WLC, or check prime. There should be alert on those recent event. Or if you have a log server and you are montioring the WLC or even AP ports on the switch then you can retrieve it there as well.

3. Are you doing regular backup of WLC? You can do comparison with old and current config as well.

Once you found these, then you can reconfigure the new AP (add on AP group, flexgroup, etc), you should be able to figure it out based on the location on which group it should be. :)

Cheers,

Raffy

Ok. Thanks

Unless AP was in flexconnect mode, there is nothing much to worry. Typically AP get config from WLC and nothing saved locally. As long as you register new AP to WLC & put it to rigth AP group, you should be good.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. If the AP is offline, the AP details won't be found in the WLC. That is normal.
2. The AP doesn't hold any configuration. The WLC pushes the configuration to the APs.

So that is different from some other products that I have worked with. It seems that with Cisco WLC replacing an exist AP is very much like new installation?

Unless it's in Flexconnect mode, you typically don't configure individual APs on Cisco. You only configure the WLC. Once that's done, you simply add a new AP to the correct VLAN and it will discover the WLC and the WLC will push the global configuration to the AP.
If you use AP groups, simply add the AP to the AP group once it's done the automatic software up-/downgrade and is visible to the WLC for 5 minutes.
You could manually configure power/channel settings and the name on the AP, but those are optional steps and only required if you have disabled all RRM features.

Thank you. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: