cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WISM and (WLC5500 or WLC4400) compatibility as primary and secondary controllers

thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We like to implement a 1:1 redundancy architecture with two controllers A and B.  Some offices APs will use A as primary and B as secondary and other offices will use B as primary and A as secondary.

APs will run as Hybrid-REAP over the WAN, switching traffic locally on each branch office.

We are considering the purchase of a WISM model WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9 as controller A and it will be installed in a WS-C6513 switch.

Due several reason, controller B can not be another WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9 but a 5508 or 4408, 5508 preferably as can scalate to support more than 100 APs.

We aim as one controller being able to backup the other in case of a failure.

My main concern is if there are any know limitations to run a scheme where the primary and secondary controller are not the same model, and in particular WISM and 55xx, or WISM and 44xx series.

I would like to know if somebody has see an actual deployment as such working? We need to know that this architecture is possible before purchasing the card.

Many Thanks

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you getting a WCS too?

Make sure both are running the same firmware.

Thanks for your quick reply, no we are not using WCS.

Have you seen a similar deployment working? If yes, is it against a 55xx series, 44xx series or both..

Many Thanks!

Martin

I have WiSM, 5508 and 4402.  But I used WCS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: