cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM Multi VLAN SSID | DHCP Issues

sean_mtich
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 ap groups. 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, and 3rd Floor and each group has an SSID "X" assigned to it with a different interface. The problem is, if I go to the 1st floor I get an IP, but as I go to the second, instead of getting a new IP and Subnet with the new VLAN I get the same one. I would like each floor to distribute a different IP and have the clients get that IP, as the goal of this whole thing was to decrease our BC domain.

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I assume  you re-associate with the SSID for the particular floor ? Also check the involved DHCP server(s) logs, to check what is going on ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Yes, it completely swaps WAPs, and as the client requests an IP the controller hands back the same one.

- That's not what I meant; you will only get a new IP if you associate with the SSID for that floor.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Even if I turn off wifi and back on it still happens.

Don't use different subnets. Make one huge network for all three floors, broadcasts are not anymore an issue on Wireless (as they were on 10 Mbit/s LAN infrastructure).
Alternatively (and a bad solution), create an SSID (with different name) per floor.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@sean_mtich wrote:

I have 3 ap groups. 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, and 3rd Floor and each group has an SSID "X" assigned to it with a different interface. The problem is, if I go to the 1st floor I get an IP, but as I go to the second, instead of getting a new IP and Subnet with the new VLAN I get the same one. I would like each floor to distribute a different IP and have the clients get that IP, as the goal of this whole thing was to decrease our BC domain.

Not going to happen unless the floor is so thick it soaks up the signal and stops the WiFi from broadcasting between floors. 

If this is remotely even possible, the next issue that will come up is for people to complain about "slow roaming".  

Remember that the wireless client makes the ultimate decision to join whatever AP it "sees" as suitable.  The wireless client may be on the third floor but it won't stop the same wireless client from joining an AP located on the ground floor. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card