cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 died. Got a new WLC 3504. Have no backups. Just the CF Card taken from the WLC 2504

NunoDuarte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

WLC 2504 died. Have no backups at all from the wlc2504.

Managed to take out the CF Card taken from the wlc2504.

Retrieved quite a few XML files.

Is there any way to use these files and/or adapt them to configure my new wlc3504 to replace the old wlc2504 ?

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

danailpetrov
Level 1
Level 1

I got here simply because I had exactly the same situation with my home 2504 controller. I was not even thinking this will be possible, but I was wrong and nicely surprised to know that moving the compact flash from the faulty device to the new one did the job and the device got back online with all the settings, etc. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would say no. With no backup file, there is no way to restore. You will need to build it manually. Probably better anyways as it doesn’t take long if you know what you are doing.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What if i inserted the CF card in another 2504 ?

This would enable to run/pursue the below path's , maybe.

Wouldn't it be possible to do anything ?

Say like https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessConfigConverter/ 

or... this 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-and-mobility/cisco-wlc-config-migration-from-2504-to-3504/td-p/3726476

If you want to take apart another 2504 and try, go for it. I have never heard anyone doing that but as long as the card isn’t corrupt, you might be able to get a backup.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

danailpetrov
Level 1
Level 1

I got here simply because I had exactly the same situation with my home 2504 controller. I was not even thinking this will be possible, but I was wrong and nicely surprised to know that moving the compact flash from the faulty device to the new one did the job and the device got back online with all the settings, etc. 

Hi Danail,

Thank you so much for sharing!

And yes, i confirm that, using the same CF card, on any 2504 WLC device will work. 

The "new" device ("WLC 2504) will assume all your previous configurations.

The only small detail that needs attention is, in this scenario WLC2504's have reached their EOL. 

Thanks once again for sharing,

Kind regards,

One thing I am wondering is - how do we make a copy of the compact flash content, without pulling it out from the device (in case that one day the compact flash itself fails?) I've been going through the CLI and WEB interface but I couldn't find a way to do it..

I've been contemplating this and 'dd' on a Unix/Linux system would be my first thought. 

I've used 'dd' to image all sorts of non-standard things via Linux with success.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card