cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 - Slow Internet download speed. Just Internet speed.

Khoa Pham
Level 1
Level 1

My network is a simple network: 1 Gateway, 1 switch, 1 WLC2504 and 1 AP-3602I

If I wired my laptop to the switch and do speedtest.net, I get 100Mbs down, 100Mbs Up, which is the speed provided by our ISP

If I connect the laptop wirelessly to the AP, and do a Speedtest.net, I get 30-40Mbs down, 100Mbs Up

If I use IPerf to test the connection from the Wireless laptop to a Wired Server, on the same local net, I get 140Mbs Up/Down

At all time, my laptop is connected at 450Mbs, A channel. Only 1 device on the AP, which is my laptop.

You might will ask, but I verified:

- No QoS setup anywhere in the network. WLAN QOS tab is clean.

- I even removed the switch and connected the WLC directly to the gateway. Same results.

Interesting right ? I know.

Please advise.

44 Replies 44

Looks interesting and I will investigate this further, but gut feeling says that this isn't the problem as I am getting over 100Mbps when connecting to a server on the local LAN, but less when accessing the Internet. 

Also my Macbook and my iPhones are running on the 40Mhz channels, so I should at least see more than 30Mbps. 

No I still don't have an answer. Can you upload the test result as Manannalage has asked below ?

Absolutely. 

I've attached the files. Some information has been removed due to privacy concerns. 

Could this be tied to latency?

I am tempted to try Flexconnect to take the WLC out of the equation. 

Channel.......................................... 64 
Current Rate..................................... m22
Supported Rates.................................. 24.0,36.0,48.0,54.0

As per this you can see your client connected on m22, on channel 64. Refer the below MCS data rates.  Your client should get data rate should be 350+ (if client support 40MHz channel bonding). Actual throughput typically 40-70% depend on the RF environment, so getting 150Mbps throughput locally  seems reasonable.

Have you enabled channel bonding under Wireless ->802.11a/n/ac -> DCA -> channel width -> 40MHz ?

I am tempted to try Flexconnect to take the WLC out of the equation. 

If you could do this as a test, it would verify that traffic has to go through 2504 makes this throughput drop ? Good to see what you find 

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

In my case, I enabled Flex Connect with local "Flex Connect local switching" option and I had the exact same issue, which is:

Download speed is limited at 30Mbs from the Internet. 

Download speed is limited at 140Mbs from the local network. 

Good job on testing Flex Connect. 

Just a question? What switch are you running between the WLC and the gateway?

My configuration is as follows 

WLC ------ WS-C3560CG-8TC-S ------- WS-C3560CG-8PC-S ------ 2602I 

|

|

ASA 5505

The link between the WLC and switch is a trunk, as is the link between the switches. Also to the ASA. The 2602 is connected to an access port with the same VLAN as the management interface. 

Both switches are running 12.2(55)EX2

Same setup here, same problem: I get 15MB/s download when AP's are in flexconnect mode, and 45MB/s when they are in local mode. All other settings are unchanged when re-producing this error. Client is Asus PCE-AC68. Client connects M9 SS3 everytime, AP and client are 3 meters apart.

WLC = 2504

Switch = 3560CX

AP = 2702i

Any suggestions appreciated! 

When testing, you are using the same AP and just changing the mode correct?  Also the traffic is being placed on the same subnet?  The one thing you can try is a different code version if your testing is happening on the same AP/switch/subnet.  I have seen this in the past but it's usually the other way around, FlexConnect having better throughput than local and code has fixed that for me. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Same AP, just changing mode from flexconnect to local. Same subnet. WLC running 8.2.141.0

AP and controller on the same switch?  If your testing, I would try a different code also. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Same switch, same AP, same controller, same subnet. Have seen this on all 8.2 - will try 8.3 but would prefer cisco to reproduce since I can every time ;)

You would need to open a TAC case for them to reproduce the issue. They would have to review your setup to verify things are configured to their standards. We run into issues that we can reproduce but they can't nor can I reproduce it in my home lab. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Thanx for info. Controller is not in service, so will just have to live with local mode - and my curiosity ;)

Hi!

Yes, the data rate seems good since I am getting good throughput to the LAN. 

Channel-bonding is enabled on the a/n network and scans verify this. 

I have this exact same problem with my 3 x autonomous 3602e/i and desktop/tablet/macbook. I also cannot understand why it is so slow using speedtest.net.

My internet speed is 1gbps so its really disappointing

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card