Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 3504 with 300 AP(s)

Hello All,

Could anybody tell me how to configure 300 AP(s) in the same network with WLC 3504. I know that WLC 3504 supports 150 AP(s). So i need 2 WLC 3504. How do I configure all the 300 AP(s) in the same network?

4 Replies 4

Hi @kiranshivaramaiah 

Well yes, you're right you can manage only 150 APs per 3504. You can buy two 3504 or try to get a 5520 or and old 5508. Both can manage more than 300 APs.

If you choose to buy two 3504, then you will have to manage both controller, you can handle the APs in a central way, you just need to create your SSID on your WLCs and the configuration will be push to the APs.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Hi @Daniel Ordóñez Flores 

Thanks for the reply.

I need help in understanding configuration of the AP(s) under the Management Port of WLC. I have few clarifications:

- Can I configure one management port for dynamic AP management and make all 150 AP(s) connect to that port. I would like to configure few of the AP(s) as RAP(s) and few of them as MAP(s). Now, how many AP(s) I can configure as RAP(s) and MAP(s) under one mamagement port? And, if I have to use multiple management ports how do I go about that? 

- For one set of 150 AP(s) the Primary WLC would be one WLC and for other set of 150 AP(s) the Primary WLC would be other WLC. So, for all 300 AP(s) to be under a single network I need to make sure that they have the same Bridge Group Name. Am I right? or is there any other way or configurations to take care? I would be using cisco switch to connect the AP(s).

Kindly provide me a solution for this.

Hi @kiranshivaramaiah 

Well Ap Manager are in 2504, 3505, 5508 and 5520 don't use a specific AP manager port, actually the AP use WLC manage ports, so local mode APs and Mesh APs can be manages together.

For your second question, just need to configure same parameter as SSID names, security methods, passwords, etc. Just need be sure that each WLC have a unique ip addressing. Can live in same network but with different IP address.

For example:

Manage IP Addressing WLC Primary.

IP:192.168.1.254

Mask: 255.255.255.0

GW:192.168.1.1

Manage IP Addressing WLC Secondary.

IP: 192.168.1.253
Mask: 255.255.255.0
GW:192.168.1.1

The same apply for your dynamic interfaces, just remember every interface must have a unique IP address.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

buy two 5520 wlc as its support more then 150 APs and will also support HA (AP & Client SSO).

Example:

Primary WLC: Buy 1 X 520 with 300 AP license

Secondary WLC: Buy 1 X 5520 WLC with o AP licnese.

In this case you just need to manage one conroller as it will be working in HA. Automatic failover will be taken in case of primary is down.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card