Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508/ Cat 3650/ APs 3702

rhub
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have the following situation:

APs 3702i are connected to a Cat 3650 (MA); we have a centralized WLC 5508 (MC). The customer wants to be able to administer all APs (including those connected to the Cat 3650) from the WLC 5508 via graphical interface.

Until now the APs are in "registered" state at the Cat 3650 but they are not shown at the WLC 5508 under topic "Wireless -- All APs".

Is the above mentioned configuration supported or not ? Has anyone made any experiences ? I think if this is not supported, it is a tremendous drawback, since customers want to be able to administer their entire AP-world from a centralized WLC, without having to buy Cisco Prime .... and the competition is able to provide a similar solution !!!

Many thanks for your reply

Best regards

Roman 

2 Replies 2

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

Currently, you cannot use the 3650 as an MA and have the APs centrally configured from the 5508.  You can go back to a classic mobility on the 5508 and turn off wireless mobility on the 3650 to let them be centrally configured.

Hi Jacob,

many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's exactly what I was afraid of. Does your reply "currently you cannot ...) mean, that this will be supported in the future and if "YES", do you have any plans about the dates.

It would be a very useful and helpful information for many customers, since Cisco's strategy to have Prime as central management does not work, especially because Prime obviously is not there, where it's supposed to be for this kind of management. 

Customers do not want to buy an expensive Prime, just to manage all their AP's like they did before without Prime, but from a very intuitive GUI @ the WLC 5508.

Many thanks again for your reply

Best regards

Roman

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card