cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 / firmware 7.2.110.0 is restarting automatically ( COLD START )

vinodjad1234
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Experts ,

I am having weird issue with 5508 controller which is having firmware 7.2.110.0 . This controller is restarting automatically

Since this issue was occuring since long time with earlier version , I have upgraded to 7.2.110.0 , however still no luck ....

I do not have any logs related to controller crash info.

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well if this has been happening with other code version.... heck I would of RMA'd that WLC.  When upgrading to 7.2.110.0, did you also upgrade the FUS using the 1.7.0.0 FUS image.  That is required for the 7.2.x upgrade.  That upgrade takes around 35-45 minutes and automatically runs after you reboot the WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott,

I'm about to upgrade a 5508 controller from 7.0.220.0 to 7.4.110.0 , and was just prepping myself on upgrading the FUS as it will be the first time. Latest for 5508 is 1.7 and I noticed for 2504 its 1.8.

I was just curious where you saw that its mandatory to upgrade the FUS ? I can't seem to locate any actual documentation specifying anything about upgrading the FUS when going from one version to another etc. I know one of my clients has a 5508 on 7.4 with the old FUS (see below).

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks !

Scott,

What I meant to say was that I don't see it saying its 'required'. I see it recommended for sure. Was just curious on you stating 'required'. I was searching for that =)

thanks again

The FUS 1.7 is not applicable to the 2500 and it's only for the 5508 and WiSM-2.  So now the 1.8 FUS is only for the 2500.

But yes, FUS upgrade is mandatory. 

Hey Leo !

I'm just not 100% sure that it is "mandatory". I agree with you that it should certainly be considered so. I just never came across the importance of upgrading the FUS, during any of the software upgrade documenation. At least I've only just seen the recommendation for it in the release notes.

One of my clients has their 5508 on 7.4 and still running the original FUS. I'll be needing to go back in and upgrade it for them to 1.7 eventually. Definetly seems to be working without issue as far as I've heard.

Thanks for the reply !

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is recommended... Take a look at the release notes and it tell you to verify the FUS image. If you run into any issues and TAC notices you have not upgraded, they will tell you to. I don't see any issue why you wouldn't upgrade it. Your better safe than sorry.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

The FUS can be uploaded via the GUI right? The guide only shows from the CLI, but I'm pretty sure it should be fine right?

Yes it can

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

The FUS can be uploaded via the GUI right?

I've upgraded mine using CLI.  No big issue.

maldehne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

please have the show tech of your controller attached

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card