Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 7.5.102.0 Client Load Balancing

edison_abad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Regarding 'Client Load Balancing' feature in WLC code 7.5.102.0, which one will take precedence:

- Load Balancing enabled in RF Profile and applied in an AP Group.

- Load Balancing enabled in WLAN

Also, is there any way to determine the statistics of the Load Balancing in RF Profile? (similar to the Statistics for Client Load Balancing enabled per WLAN in Wireless> Advanced > Load Balancing > Load Balancing Statistics)

Thanks in advance!

- edison

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Loan balancing is enabled only on the WLAN. The two screen shots show where you can adjust the settings for load balancing IF it is enabled on the WLAN.

Changing the value on the RF Profile doesn't enable load balancing.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Load balancing shouldnt be used as it causes issue with many clients that do not support status code 17.

That being said, the load balancing in the RF group overrides the global setting but thats just the threshold.  Load balancing itself is defined on the WLAN.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

So the threshold setting globally is here:

1.jpg

And the RF Profile threshold is defined here:

2.jpg

The RF Profile will override the global setting if applied on an AP Group.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply.

the question is to firm up my understanding only and i'm aware that Load Balancing should not be enabled.

say for example, I want to leverage the RF Profile for highly dense deploytment  (like Town Hall or influx of users) and as result i want to deploy more temp APs that will coexist my existing APs. I just want to modify the High Density parameter - limiting the max clients only. but the RF Profile comes with the Load Balancing too and i dont think it cannot be disabled separately.

so when i apply the RF Profile to the AP Group, the profile's Load Balancing settings will also be applied together with my preferred High Density settings - while my WLAN settting is not enabled with Load Balancing.

this is the reason why I ask if there is any way to check/verify if the Load Balancing in for RF Profile is in effect.

If the RF Profile settings takes precedence over the WLAN, is there any reference documents that we can refer to?

thanks,

edison

RF Profiles overrides any global settings, just like AP Groups can override the vlan or interface mappings.

say for example, I want to leverage the RF Profile for highly dense deploytment  (like Town Hall or influx of users) and as result i want to deploy more temp APs that will coexist my existing APs. I just want to modify the High Density parameter - limiting the max clients only. but the RF Profile comes with the Load Balancing too and i don't think it cannot be disabled separately.

> Load balacing is enabled on the WLAN and isn't in the RF Profile.  High Desnity, you create a RF Profile to disable the lower data rates, maybe 54 and 36 as mandatory and 24 and or 48 supported... depends on how much you want to shrink your cells.  Also setting the max and min TX power.... no need for load balancing if you shrink the cells down.

so when i apply the RF Profile to the AP Group, the profile's Load Balancing settings will also be applied together with my preferred High Density settings - while my WLAN settting is not enabled with Load Balancing.

> No.... you either enable load balancing on the WLAN or not. The screen shot I showed you is a threshold configuration if its enabled.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

in response to:

> No... you either enable load balancing on the WLAN or not.

>>> does this means that if you don't check the box for Load Balance in WLAN, the RF Profile's Load Balancing settings will not take effect on the APs in the AP Group?

in other words, it is mandatory to enable Load Balancing first in WLAN before the RF Profile's more granular settings or different from global settings to work?

thanks,

Edison

Loan balancing is enabled only on the WLAN. The two screen shots show where you can adjust the settings for load balancing IF it is enabled on the WLAN.

Changing the value on the RF Profile doesn't enable load balancing.

-Scott

edison_abad
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Scott, for all the explanation.

It is clear to me now.

Please don't get tired of helping others.

No problem.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: