Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8510 Service Port alternative configuration

HI team, 

I have to replace a new hardare 8510, the box is here with me, just wondering, I dont have the female console connector converter, in my little experience I have been using only the regular ones, to connect to cat switches, firewalls, etc, 

but when the box came yesterday, it does not have a regular RJ 45 port for console as other devices, 

My question is: can I start entering the initial configuration using the service port?

Does the WLC come with a default IP address like some devices: 192.168.1.1 for instance?

In the document URL, in the section : Connecting the Controller’s Service Port (Optional)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8500/install/guide/ctrl8500/ctrl8500main.html#66239

it mentions a service port that I can use, but has anybody used that before?

I need to replace and load and match the config, but as of now, I dont have that type of adapter, 

im just looking for alternatives and the issue here in my location is that, it is very hard to find those cables, 

6 Replies 6

if it is out of the box, you have to configure IP address for service port. Even for make it DHCP, you have to go through the initial config wizard.

Since you do not have right console cable, connecting keyboard & monitor directly to the server should let you to go through initial configurations wizard

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

let me try, doing it right now

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Without the 9 pin console cable your options would be limited to connecting a KVM to the WLC and completing the initial config from that.

As an FYI you can quite often pickup the 9 pin serial cables from Amazon, or a gender bender connector to connect to your USB to Serial dongle.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks, I could not do anything :(
it hangs just on the display saying: Cisco Bootloader loading stage2 and it never gets thru

Well, so Im gonna try to get the cable, I have no choise, but what surprises me more is the fact that a "cutting edge device" with no blue console port as other cisco devices, lol,

super thanks for the feedback then,

Thanks Rasika and Haydn! appreciated

This thread also discuss about same, pls check that as well

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-and-mobility/8500-controller-no-serial-access/td-p/2330500 

HTH

Rasika

Thank you!
I replaced the box yesterday, lucky my colleague had a cable from yesteryear and I had to use it and it worked,
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card