Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and CAPs

flokki123
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding WLCs and CAPs.

1) On my CAP2602i I can see a "primary software version" and an "IOS version" installed. Whats the difference?

2) If I want to upgrade my CAPs to a newer version, I can only do this via the connected WLC, correct? Or can I do that directly via the AP?

3) In order to upgrade my CAPs I would install a new "Software version" on my WLC and then it will get pushed to my CAPs? Or can I copy a specific IOS onto my WLC and push it onto my CAPs?

4) Is the IOS included in the software for the WLC?

5) I can activate SSH access to the CAPs. I also get to the login screen but my Radius credentials dont work. What credentials should I use here to log into the AP?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

- Both questions are in fact irrelevant for controller based ap's as the WLC_AP relation should be seen as 'one entity'. where the  controller pushes  the software to   the AP based the software version it is running.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

No it wont. But if an AP switches to another WLC, it has to down-/upgrade its software. If it then joins back, it has to do that again.
Only if you run extremely old software releases, I think older 7.4 on the old WLC, then you might have issues, because the mobility wouldn't work.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Basically all that happens is that the WLC syncs software to the AP's according to the software  version it is running. This all happens automatically with upgrades (or downgrades) of the WLC.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi Marce,

thanks a lot for your reply!

So there is now way of installing a specific IOS version onto the CAPs?

I always have to update the WLC in order to update the CAPs?

BR

Hi Marce,

thanks a lot for your reply!

So there is now way of installing a specific IOS version onto the CAPs?

I always have to update the WLC in order to update the CAPs?

BR

- Both questions are in fact irrelevant for controller based ap's as the WLC_AP relation should be seen as 'one entity'. where the  controller pushes  the software to   the AP based the software version it is running.

M.

Hi Marce,

thanks a lot for your help! Yeah, makes sense!

One last question regarding point number 5. Is there a way to log into the CAPs, or not at all?

Because I wonder why I can enable SSH on them.

BR

You can set a local username/password on the WLC for the SSH/Telnet access onto the access point. You only need that access for a few specific troubleshooting cases, otherwise everything will run directly on the WLC.
I suggest you don't enable ssh/telnet access on the access points.

Hi guys,

thanks for your help so far!
Actually I do have one more question. My WLC is part of a mobility group. When I update one controller of that mobility group will that have any impact on other controllers of this mobility group?

BR

No it wont. But if an AP switches to another WLC, it has to down-/upgrade its software. If it then joins back, it has to do that again.
Only if you run extremely old software releases, I think older 7.4 on the old WLC, then you might have issues, because the mobility wouldn't work.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys!!!
Rellay appreciate it!

1) On my CAP2602i I can see a "primary software version" and an "IOS version" installed. Whats the difference?

Primary version is what the current build on the AP. That would be the image of your WLC.

2) If I want to upgrade my CAPs to a newer version, I can only do this via the connected WLC, correct? Or can I do that directly via the AP? 

As others said you can be able to do only via WLC.

3) In order to upgrade my CAPs I would install a new "Software version" on my WLC and then it will get pushed to my CAPs? Or can I copy a specific IOS onto my WLC and push it onto my CAPs?

You can use the option pre-image upload to perform the upgrade based on your AP models. Ref Pre Image Download

4) Is the IOS included in the software for the WLC?

IOS is for both the WLC and APs.

5) I can activate SSH access to the CAPs. I also get to the login screen but my Radius credentials dont work. What credentials should I use here to log into the AP?

If you haven’t configured any password under wireless -> global configuration . By default it will use Cisco as username and Cisco as login and enable password.

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: