cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Configuration Best practices - no updates since 2008?

lsigalov
Level 1
Level 1

There has been no updates to this doc for almost 4 years.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml

That's a long time for wireless, especially since it still references release 5.2, and we now it's 7.0.  Plus quite a few new AP families have been announced, 802.11n, Cleanair, etc.  I think this document is overdue for an update.  Has there not been any lessons learned since 2008?  Can anyone from Cisco comment on this?

13 Replies 13

conraddaniel
Level 1
Level 1

Bumping - totally agree, some pretty out of date info.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree and I heard Cisco locked someone in a dark room to update these...

As for best practices, most are still very relevant. But as it was mentioned 802.11n is a new feature not in the old guide

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Can anyone confirm that  :

User Idle Timeout........................... 300 seconds
ARP Idle Timeout............................ 300 seconds

Still ok for release 7.0/7.2 ?

And what is "best practise" for Android and Mac OSX laptops?

DHCP Proxy : Enable ?

IP Theft or IP Reuse : Disabled
And what is best DHCP Lease time in combination with User Idle Timeout and
ARP Idle Timeout (default-lease-time and max-lease-time)

Many questions.....

Bump - anyone?

Guys:

I agree with you. many docs are old, pretty old.
You can use the Feedback button at the bottom of the doc page and send your feedback to Cisco.

Most of the time they will reply you and you can discuss your opinion about that doc is very old.

I've done this with more than one doc and config examples that describes the config by providing images for version 3.x. They updated some of the docs to reflect later releases (6.x and 7.x).
They have no problem with updating the docs, they have a good team to work on the docs to create and update. Just you be positive and hit that "Feedback" button and tell them and they'll surely help. (if not please tell me. I have a kind of personal contact with the wireless docs manager).

HTH,

Amjad

You want to say "Thank you"?
Don't. Just rate the useful answers,
that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I have found a very interesting hidden commands for Apple (iOS) products (Open WiFi) with 7.2MR1 release

"config network web-auth captive-bypass"

Please describe this (new) option in best practices (detail).

It has helped me a lot!

How has this command helped you out? Please describe

Gertijan:

That is great. +5.

But I have a question: How did you discover it if it is hidden?
You can make it useful to others by creating a document here in this forum. Describe the command, what it does, what code version it can be applied to...etc.

If the command is hidden I think Cisco has a valid reason why it is keeping it hidden. But if you still want it to be documented please use the feedback as described before.

HTH

Amjad

You want to say "Thank you"?
Don't. Just rate the useful answers,
that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Mark Lancaster
Level 1
Level 1

Bump, I would really like to see this document updated.  Btw, here is the non-partner link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml

Also, how about a best practices document for deploying a Cisco wireless infrastructure with a large OSX/iOS customer base?  We are experiencing a large amount of pain each day with interop bugs between Apple and Cisco.  Yes, I have read and implemented the small section on this in the WLC FAQ on this topic:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a008064a991.shtml

As what George has said, Cisco has locked someone in a dark room (without any food, water or Facebook) and an updated document will make it's debut soon.

I think it's safe to say that the aforementioned guy locked away in the dark room without food or water is in a better place now.  So with more new APs, features like 3G and 802.11ac, and even an 8500 controller in the midst; there's still no sign of an update to this best practices document.

I’m sure it’s right around the corner though, no worries.

dulle wrote:

I think it's safe to say that the aforementioned guy locked away in the dark room without food or water is in a better place now.  So with more new APs, features like 3G and 802.11ac, and even an 8500 controller in the midst; there's still no sign of an update to this best practices document.

I’m sure it’s right around the corner though, no worries.

Start here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: