Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Doesn't see one of My AP's

We were recently contacted about wireless issues.  I looked on the WLC and noticed 1 of 5 was missing.  I assumed it was a POE issue but then I looked at the switch and noticed that the Power was on and I can ping the AP.  

Any ideas why the unit will come up and network settings are working but will not connect to the WLC?  Can I reset the AP via a button or something?

4 Replies 4

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

you can try to console in the AP and force them to the WLC

New APs

config ap primary-base Controller_name AP_name Controller_IP

Older APs

capwap ap controller ip address

I would first try rebooting one of them to see if that causes them to rejoin. if they are POE, just plug them from the switch wait 30 seconds and plug them back in

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the AP joined before automatically, just shut down the ethernet port connect AP and unshut the Port.

So AP will get recycled with Power and Join the WLC Controller, if possible console to AP and see what is the error you getting.

AP gettting IP address from DHCP, make sure you have setup the DHCP Option for WLC controller IP to join.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Grant-Security/Network Analyst wrote:

I assumed it was a POE issue but then I looked at the switch and noticed that the Power was on and I can ping the AP.  

Oh this is helpful!

1.  The switch connected to the AP is PoE; and 

2.  The AP is pingable. 

Can you remote into the AP (telnet, SSH or console)?  The reason why I'm asking is I am more interested to know WHY the AP is no longer joined to the WLC.  

Next, what firmware is the WLC running on?  

If you can remote into the AP, kindly post (as in attach to this thread) the outputs to the following commands: 

1.  sh log (you might want to do "term length 0" first); and

2.  dir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card