cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC in a non-Cisco network

jmprats
Level 4
Level 4

I'm planning to use a Cisco WLC 5508 in a non-Cisco core network (switch and routers) and I'm wondering about the problems I can have.

For the moment, I can only think that I can't have CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) in the new core network (access switchs are cisco).

So, do you need CDP to run a Cisco Controller Based WLAN?

Maybe for Rogue Switchport tracing? Anything else?

Can I use a WLC connected to a non-Cisco core network?

More trouble?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can use a wlc in a non Cisco environment if you want. Port tracing is done with the use of WCS/NCS or PI and does require CDP. Other than that, the only other thing is if your switch supports 802.1q trunk. If not, then you can't use lag.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

LAG? But if the switch supports LACP and 802.1q, I suppose I won't have any problem, true?

Any problem for discovering and monitoring AP's or with LWAPP?

Thanks

Cisco wlc's do not use LACP, LAG is non-negotiated, just on. 5508 also require 1g ports, it will not connect to anything less than this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_ports_interfaces.html#wp1182892

As for LWAPP/CAPWAP, you will need to make sure that if yo uare going through a firewall that UDP ports 12222/12223 for LWAPP and UDP port 5246/5247 are not blocked. You can use option43 on your DHCP server for the APs to find the controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

OR

DNS discovery—The access point can discover  controllers through your domain name server (DNS). For the access point  to do so, you must configure your DNS to return controller IP addresses  in response to CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.localdomain or CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain, where localdomain

is the access point domain name. When an access point receives an IP  address and DNS information from a DHCP server, it contacts the DNS to  resolve CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.localdomain or CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain

And do you know if WLC supports LLDP to replace CDP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card