cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Management access using Windows NPS

inlandprinting
Level 1
Level 1

TO BE CLEAR: I am attempting to setup my WLC to authenticate management users via my RADIUS server which runs on windows server 2012 R2 NPS.

This topic seems like it should be so simple.  tick the option in the RADIUS configuration to allow management login, switch the login priority order and away you go.  That is where the happy stops for me.  I do both of these things, I look at my NPS server which says it permitted full control  based on the NPS logs, but then the WLC interface just kicks me back another login box.

I know NPS is working as I use it for authentication to my other infrastructure gear, wireless authentication via Certificates, VPN access etc.  Anyone have any idea what secret undocumented solution for WLC i'm missing.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

craig.beck
Level 1
Level 1

You need to allow PAP as the authentication method in the NPS network policy and set the Service-Type attribute to "Administrative".

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

craig.beck
Level 1
Level 1

You need to allow PAP as the authentication method in the NPS network policy and set the Service-Type attribute to "Administrative".

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

As previously stated the radius attribute must be set to service type Administrative.

Are you definitely hitting the policy you expect if the service type is set?

Regards

Interesting.  I had it hitting the same policy I've got for all my other infrastructure devices.  duplicated that policy and changed the attribute from login to administrative and that worked.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card