cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC shows AP in download status when it already downloaded from WLC

DAVID
Level 3
Level 3

I have a WLC 5520 running 8.5.140 and it seems that I have a 3702i AP that just decided to download the 8.5.140 code when it already has the code for the last three weeks.  Is this a bug or just some cosmetic inconvenience? 

3 Replies 3

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

An AP will download new software version during an AP join if its not the same version as the WLC.

The AP hasn't joined a secondary controller that wasn't running 8.5.140.

There was an AP flash corruption bug:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/213317-understanding-various-ap-ios-flash-corru.html

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@DAVID wrote:

I have a WLC 5520 running 8.5.140 and it seems that I have a 3702i AP that just decided to download the 8.5.140 code when it already has the code for the last three weeks.   

Looks like "my friend" is back:  Understanding Various AP-IOS Flash Corruption Issues

If you look at the AP's "Operational Status", it says "Downloading"?  What about the IP address?  Is it 0.0.0.0?  And the AP name?  Is it a default AP name (APmacaddress)?

Chris C'Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

as far as I have reviewed this looks like a cosmetic issue, the solution is whether restart the AP, the WLC, or both.

Currently, I did no find any documentation or bugs related as this hardly ever happens and after the reboot it solves the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card