Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC2504 - Dynamic interface problem

Pavel Segec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have problem with my WLC2504. My WLC is  connected through two ports (1 and 2 of four) to my distro switch, where  I have dot1q trunks configured. WLC is configured with Management interface  (IP address 192.168.255.9/24), over which my  LAPs are correctly joined.  However, once I'm trying to add additional Dynamic WLC interface, which  has VLAN TAG 10 and which I'd like to associate with my WLANS, my WLC  stop responding through GUI and SSH, but pings on the management and dynamic interface IP addresses are sucesfull. Just as a note, dynamic AP management is not enabled on mentioned dynamic interface. In a case when I enable dynamic AP management on the dynamic interface (activated also on management interface), GUI and SSH work, but I can not associated WLAN to the dynamic interface, only to the management one

Thanks for soon answer

palo73

15 Replies 15

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The management interface is the default interface for in-band management of the controller and connectivity to enterprise services such as AAA servers. The management interface is also used for communications between the controller and APs. The management Interface is the only consistently "pingable" in-band interface IP address on the controller. The management interface will act like an AP manager interface by default.

The dynamic interface with the “Dynamic AP Management” option enabled on it is used as the tunnel source for packets from the controller to the AP, and as the destination for CAPWAP packets from the AP to the controller. The dynamic interfaces for AP manager must have a unique IP address. Typically, this is configured on the same subnet as the management interface, but this is not necessarily a requirement. In the case of the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller, a single dynamic AP manager can support any number of APs. However, as a best practice, it is suggested to have 4 separate dynamic AP manager interfaces and associate them to the 4 Gigabit interfaces. By default, the management interface acts like an AP-manager interface as well and it is associated to one Gigabit interface. As a result, if you are using the management interface, you need to create only 3 more dynamic AP manager interfaces and associate them to the remaining 3 Gigabit interfaces.

The virtual interface is used to support mobility management, DHCP relay, and embedded layer 3 security like guest web authentication and VPN termination. The virtual interface must be configured with an unassigned and unused gateway IP address. A typical virtual interface is 1.1.1.1. The virtual interface address is not pingable and should not exist in any routing table in your network.

Dynamic interfaces are created by users and are designed to be analogous to VLANs for wireless LAN client device. The Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller will support up to 16 dynamic interfaces. Dynamic interfaces must be configured on a unique IP network and VLAN. Each dynamic interface acts as a DHCP relay for wireless clients associated to wireless LANs (WLANs) mapped to the interface. A WLAN associates an SSID to an interface and is configured with security, QoS, radio policies, and other wireless network parameters. There can be up to 16 WLANs configured per controller.
Guidelines for Deploying the Cisco 2500 Wireless Controller

Ethernet ports on Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controllers do not work as Switch ports (that is, 2 machines directly connected to these ports will not be able to communicate with each other). You should not connect servers like DHCP, TFTP etc. on these ports and expect Wireless Clients and APs to receive an IP address from this DHCP server.
Ethernet ports on the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller should only be used to connect/uplink to an infrastructure network configured as a data interface (management interface and dynamic interfaces) or an AP-managers interface.
If multiple Ethernet ports on a Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller are uplinked to an infrastructure switch, you should make sure data interfaces (management or dynamic interfaces) or AP-managers interfaces are configured for these uplinked physical ports. Physical Ethernet ports which are used as an uplink to an infra switch should not be left un-configured. This may result in unexpected behaviors.

Multicast unicast is not a supported configuration on Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller. As a result, HREAP APs are not able to receive multicast traffic because HREAP APs only work with multicast unicast.

For more information you can refer to the link -
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11630/products_tech_note09186a0080b8450c.shtml

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card