Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC5508 link to switch core "down"??

rguzman.plannet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to implement WLC5508 in my network but when I came to connect it to the switch core which is a Catalyst 4000 the link didn't get up. This switch module is a fastethernet, I wonder if that might be the problem since I also tried connecting my laptop to the WLC and the link got up.

If that might be the cause, is it possible to get WLC to 100 Mbps?

Thanks!!            

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is there any document that specifies this?

Read this:  Information About Distribution System Ports

Distribution ports will only negotiate to 1 Gbps and nothing less.  It will negotiate to only 1 Gbps because all the SFP modules will only operate at this speed and Cisco will NOT enable 100BaseFx fibre.  And I also don't see the logic to this either.

Think about it, the WLC will support, say, 802.11n WAP.  If you have 100BaseFx then the WLC will be a bottleneck.  Don't make any sense, hence 1Gbps is it and nothing else.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The WLC is gigabit only. It will not negotiate to a lower speed/duplex.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

That aplies only for this model WLC5508?

Thanks!

Read this:  Information About Distribution System Ports

Distribution ports will only negotiate to 1 Gbps and nothing less.  It will negotiate to only 1 Gbps because all the SFP modules will only operate at this speed and Cisco will NOT enable 100BaseFx fibre.  And I also don't see the logic to this either.

Think about it, the WLC will support, say, 802.11n WAP.  If you have 100BaseFx then the WLC will be a bottleneck.  Don't make any sense, hence 1Gbps is it and nothing else.

It happens that someone ordered the WLC with GLC-T modules, and I made the mistake to think they were compatible with 100 Mbps. But you are right it does not make any sense to have a 100 Mbps link in this case.

By the way I read this in another document:

1000BASE-T standard

GLC-T

Thank you so much for your help on this.

Sure, GLC-T will work but it will still run at 1 Gbps. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: