Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC5508 upgrade issue

HI,

I have two wireless controller,one WLC version is 7.0.116.0,another one version is 7.2.110.0.I want to upgrade WLC5508 from 7.0.116.0 and 7.2.110.0 to 8.3.130 .So,could you tell me whether there are some Precautions?Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can directly upgrade to FUS 1.9, there is no need to upgrade 1.7 first. Note that the upgrade of the FUS can take 30-60 minutes! You should do that only while you have a connection to the console port, to ensure it's progressing correctly. If you plan to upgrade to 8.5.x, upgrade first to 8.3.x! And to upgrade to 8.3.x you should first upgrade to 8.2.x.

My suggestion is the following:

- FUS 1.9

- Optional 8.5.130.0 (should be out by tomorrow)

Very important, always leave enough time for all APs to upgrade to the new code. If I remember correctly, the 5508 WLC can upgrade 5 APs at the same time. Every upgrade of those 5 APs takes ~5 minutes without counting reboots. So with 30 APs, it will take you 6x 5 minutes -> 30 minutes, plus reboot of the WLC and the APs. That again means you will need around a full day for all the upgrades.

Unofficially you can probably upgrade directly from 7.4.x to 8.3.x, but that's probably unsupported by TAC and could cause configuration issues.

After that you can upgrade, 8.5.130.0 should be out today or tomorrow. I would either take that release or 8.2.166.0 (8.2.170.0 should also come out in the next 7-14 days, more likely 7) or 8.3.141.0.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Rps-Cheers wrote:

So,could you tell me whether there are some Precautions?Thanks.

Read the Release Notes.  

And why pick 8.3.130.0?

HI Leo;
Our customers want to upgrade to this version, so we only do things according to the customer's wishes.But,i cannot find a description about that.

What Leo is suggesting is to take a look at the release notes and then the open caveats that is listed. Review that piece so that you know what issues there are on that release. It’s also a good idea to point out risk to the customer especially if you are a consultant. If a customer request a certain code, then at least call out the risk so that you are covered. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott
thanks for your explain.I will tell my customer this version’s advantage and
Disadvantage.But,I still want to know the need about upgrading 7.0 and 7.2 to 8.3.130.0.
Thanks ~

@Rps-Cheers wrote:
But,I still want to know the need about upgrading 7.0 and 7.2 to 8.3.130.0.

Ask the client if they know about KRACK.

You should see a section about upgrades. That section will explain what versions can directly go to the version you want or if the upgrade had to go to another version first prior to the final code. Read that as that is the key.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

denizyaran
Level 1
Level 1

I would definitely avoid 8.3.130 if you can. We are running that since February when KRACK was patched but having so many issues with it. APs drop and crash as well as roaming issues.

Cisco told us to go on 8.5.120 so we are doing that next weekend.

Previously we were on (a long time ago) 7.4 then jumped on 7.6.130 and then to 8.0.121. From there you can go to any version. If you are running 7.0 though, you must have some old APs, you might not be able to go on 8.3.130 and above if you have legacy APs. Otherwise, code 8.2.166 is very stable too.

Cisco now recommends s 8.0.152 all of a sudden.

Serge.

@denizyaran wrote:

Cisco told us to go on 8.5.120 so we are doing that next weekend.

8.5.130.0 coming out in the next 24 hours.

Thanks Leo. I guess that supersedes the 8.5.120? Did you try it at all?

I didn't try 8.5.120.0 because I'm holding out for 8.5.130.0.  

Cool, we have been testing 8.5.120 for a month now. Very stable. Used with APs 3600, 3700 and 3800.

Running the beta of 8.5.130.0 in my lab now since a week, so far running nice. I suggest you await that version.

Thanks. Will test it before Saturday.

Hello everybody, Thanks for your advice,and i will suggest my customer to use a tac recommend release.Maybe,I will make the upgrade from 7.0.116.0 to 7.4(first upgrade FUS 1.7),and then, to 8.0(first upgrade FUS 1.9),final to 8.3 or 8.5. now,the old aps are AP1040,so maybe it’s ok.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card