Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC9800 9120AP backup controllers in AP join profile

DAVIES604
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have a 9800-CL and some 9120AP's and everything works as expected except one thing and I'm not sure if it's just me configuring something incorrectly.

If I configure the Primary and Secondary controller in the AP join profile and assign it to an AP, these controllers do not appear in the config on the AP, but other configuration from the join profile does. If I configure the Primary and Secondary controller by configuring the AP individually and not the join policy, then the config does appear on the AP.

Is this the correct way to configure the Pri and Sec controllers for multiple AP's or am I doing something wrong here.

Many thanks.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The aps do learn the controllers once joined. The usual way to configure ha is each ap. The global is setting the ha once the ap has joined and gets the policies and tags.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I think I must be doing something wrong. If I statically assign an AP with policy/site tags, the AP won't take the backup controller config, and on the AP itself it says UNKNOWN for policy/RF/Site tags, yet it has still taken most of the config from the policies.

Please provide some outputs or screenshots. I’m not following what you are trying out.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hopefully this will explain a bit better.

I configure the Pri/Sec controllers in the AP join profile as below, and then assign the Site Tag to an AP that this profile is linked to.

join_profile.JPG

If I then log in to the AP itself and do a  show capwap client config,  the Pri/Sec controller config is empty, also the Tags are all UNKNOWN.

show.JPG

However other parts of the AP join profile do apply to AP, for example the local user credentials, so I assume the Tag is associating properly.

If I configure an individual AP via the controller (Configuration>Access Points) and edit it, I can configure the Pri/Sec controllers in the High Availability tab shown below.

AP_HA.JPG

If I do it this way, the controllers appear in the config when doing a show capwap client config on the AP as before.

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense.

I want to configure the same Primary and Secondary controllers for multiple AP's without having to manually configure each one, I assumed the join profile would let me do that. Is something not working properly or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I came across the same issue.

I created a Join Profile where the second controller is defined as primary.

2021-07-14 17_00_42-a-02-wlc01__ Cisco C9800-40-K9 - Configuration - AP Join.png

I noticed, too that the HA values are empty for the AP configuration in the WLC web interface.

2021-07-14 16_59_40-a-02-wlc01__ Cisco C9800-40-K9 - Configuration - Access Points.png

But they seem to be correct when I look via ssh.

2021-07-14 16_57_36-Cisco Jabber.png

I would expect the AP connects to the primary controller when the Join Profile is applied.

Or at least after a reboot or reset.

Is this not possible?

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Fallback is not applicable for primary backup and secondary backup controllers which exists on the ap join profile.

Now the confusion is, Since fallback is on the Ap join profile page, people expect it to fallback to the primary backup controller, whenever the controller comes up. This will not work for the reason mentioned in the first line. In order to avoid this confusion, we are asking to remove the fallback option  from ap join profile and into the general configuration.

Currently it does work for a specific group of APs on the AP Join Profile, but only for the (primary/secondary/tertiary) configs which exists per AP, and NOT for the primary / backup which exists on the AP join profile.

Thanks.
I think I understand now.

But it is sad I am not able to register a AP group (bulk) to another controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card