cancel
Announcements

Community Helping Community

Community Tech-Talk Series - Cisco Office Extend Access Point OEAP-600

Views
Helpful
Comments
Rising star

Hello and Welcome to "Community Tech-Talk" where we bring technical Experts from Cisco to share their insights on specific topics that are the most commonly found throughout the Cisco Support Community.

vinashar.jpg

My name is Vinay Sharma and I am the Technical Community Manager for the Wireless Technology at Cisco and our video discussion topic is “Cisco Office Extend Access Point OEAP-600”  600AP.bmp

“An OfficeExtend access point provides secure communications from a controller to an access point at a remote location, seamlessly extending the corporate WLAN over the Internet to an employee's residence. The user's experience at the home office is exactly the same as it would be at the corporate office. Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) encryption between the access point and the controller ensures that all communications have the highest level of security”.

Office Extend Solution Overview

A user is given an access point (AP) primed with the IP address of the corporate controller, or the user can enter the IP address of the controller from the configuration screen (setup HTML pages).
The user plugs the AP to their home router.
The AP gets an IP address from their home router, joins the primed controller and creates a secured tunnel.
Cisco Aironet 600 Series OEAP then advertises the corporate SSID, which extends the same security methods and services across the WAN to the user’s home.
If the remote LAN is configured, one wired port on the AP is tunneled back to the controller.
The user can then enable additionally a local SSID for personal use.

OfficeExtend Access Points

A Cisco 600 Series OfficeExtend access point (Cisco OEAP) provides secure communications from a controller to an access point at a remote location, seamlessly extending the corporate WLAN over the Internet to an employee’s residence. The user’s experience at the home office is exactly the same as it would be at the corporate office. Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) encryption between the access point and the controller ensures that all communications have the highest level of security.

Note
DTLS is permanently enabled on the Cisco OEAP. You cannot disable DTLS on this access point.

The following figure shows a typical OfficeExtend access point setup.

Note
Cisco OEAPs are designed to work behind a router or other gateway device that is using network address translation (NAT). NAT allows a device, such as a router, to act as an agent between the Internet (public) and a personal network (private), enabling an entire group of computers to be represented by a single IP address. There is no limit to the number of Cisco OEAPs that you can deploy behind a NAT device. Roaming is not supported for the Cisco 600 OEAP model.

Currently, Cisco 1040, 1130, 1140, 2602I, 3502I, and 3600 series access points that are associated with a controller can be configured to operate as Cisco OEAPs.

802.11n Wireless Performance and Reliability

Extend predictable 802.11n wireless coverage to the home teleworking environment with Cisco Aironet 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Points.

Increase productivity, lower cost, and gain business continuity with seamless , reliable, and highly secure access to networked services from the home or remote office.

Purposely designed for the teleworking environment, the Cisco Aironet 600 Series OfficeExtend Access point delivers full 802.11n speed with simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz RF band support.

telk talk blog1.bmp

shkp.bmp

Our expert is Sharath K.P, a Customer Support Engineer specialized in wireless and switching technologies at the Technical Assistance Center in Cisco Bangalore. He has been troubleshooting wireless and switching networks and management tools since 2009. Sharath has a bachelor's degree in Electrical Electronics Engineering from P.E.S College of Engineering (PESCE), VTU at Belgaum, India. He holds CCNP certifications in R&S and Wireless.

We hope the valuable insights from our Cisco Experts will help answer these recurring comments and questions we've encountered on Cisco Office Extend Access Point OEAP-600.

Check the Document and Video on Cisco Office Extend Access Point OEAP 600.

More Information

Cisco Aironet 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Point

Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.5 - Configuring OfficeExtend Access Points

Aironet 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Point Configuration Guide

We hope you enjoy it.

6 Comments
Beginner

Great video and information.

Contributor

very informative , great work.

Beginner

Hi Vinay and Sharath,

We have deployed a number of these for remote users and we have found that the limitation of 3 networks (including the Wired LAN Port) is quite restrictive.

Is there any plans to increase this in future firmware releases? We are currently running 7.0.235.0 on the controller.

Thanks

Trent

Contributor

Hi,

thanks its really a cool product, but I have one question. In some cases I have an IP on the WAN side of the 600 which I can access from the internet. So I can remote the AP, thats cool but only via http. Are there any plans to change that. Also to add an ACL possibility mabye. would be nice to hear from you..

Once again thanks for that kind of product.

Sebastian

Beginner

Hi Sharath/Vinay,

Thanks for this nice explanation. Couple of question here.

1. I read WLC 5508 HA doesn't  support oeap600, why? How we can can overcome this situation ?
  2. After connecting oeap600 it's assigned with 192.168.1.x subnet, which is not a subnet I used anywhere in my controller,what could be the reason?
  3. I belive remote lan port can be used to connect printers and other wired devices. It would be really great if you can provide little more WLC configuration for same. Oeap 600 document i have read so far is not good enough to understand this part.

regards/Rajesh

Beginner

Hi,

According to the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.0.116.0 - Chapter 8 - Controlling Lightweight Access Points - OfficeExtend Access Points, "Coverage Hole Detection", "Aironet IE", "MFP", "Client Load Balancing" & "Client Band Select" should not be enabled on OEAP 600 Series APs (as it does not support), even it is a Voice WLAN. 

My question is, does the same thing apply on other APs series, such as Cisco 1040, 1130, 1140, and 3502I series access points??? 

Best Regards,

Terry

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad

August's Community Spotlight Awards