cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

Hello

i have acces point 1815i    cisco and we want installed in entreprise and we have camera surveillance wireless  cisco

so i want to know how much distance between ap 1815i  and camera surveillance wireless that  allows AP gives a coverage and signal without camera obstacle ??? 

i need distance beween AP and camera that allow install AP  without  any problem !!

i wait a reply from expert wireless and answer !!

thanks in advance 

14 Comments
Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Get a wireless site survey done.

Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

I don't have a site survey  but i want about how much distance between AP and camera surveillance 

thanks in advance 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Dhikra Marghli wrote:

I don't have a site survey  but i want about how much distance between AP and camera surveillance 

You need a wireless site survey.  

Your question is like asking someone "how many fingers am I holding up".  

A wireless camera continuously transmit data to the recording server.  Take note, CONTINUOUS DATA TRANSFER.  

Put that into wireless context, whenever the camera talks, all other wireless traffic has to stop and wait for their turn

Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

OK I understand  you and thank you for your explanation but our company does not  a site survey  ( if not that i don't ask this forum ) 

so  please  Leo  what I should put  approximately   5-4 meter distance ???N  so that I  can  install AP  % camera wirless !!!

thanks in adv

Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

Please can you answer me !!!

best regards 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Dhikra Marghli wrote:

Please can you answer me !!!

Calm down.  

No responsible wireless engineer is going to provide an answer that will wreck the wireless network.  

If you cannot wait for other people to respond then raise a TAC Case.  

Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

Ok  thanks to reply me !!

because our company does not have a site survey  so according to your experience  i need approximat  !!!

best regards 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Dhikra,

No one can give you an answer because the answer should come from you testing or another person testing which would be a site survey engineer. Too be better as an engineer, you need to test yourself and try to engineer a solution or else hire someone or a company to help. I personally don’t think cameras will affect wireless unless the are huge and bulky. Rule of thumb and this is very general is to have 1 meter distance from any other electronic device. Sometimes you can achieve this and sometimes you can’t.
Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

thanks to reply  Scott Fella 

But   why in the search, I find  that  Wireless video cameras is a source of interferance !!!??

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Common_Sources_of_Wireless_Interference 

so that why i ask this request to forum !!!??

best regards 

Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Scott

can you reply me !!

thanks in adv

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I did...
pieterh
VIP
VIP

Hi Dihkra, are you sure the camera is wireless ? (camera surveillance wireless  cisco)

the camera's on this page https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/physical-security/video-surveillance-ip-cameras/index.html#~tab-dome all seem to be wired models, not Wi-Fi.

If so, then the camera is only mechanically blocking the Wi-Fi signal of the access-point.

Dhikra Marghli
Level 5
Level 5

Heloo pieterh

what's mean  the camera is only mechanically blocking the Wi-Fi signal of the access-point  !!!???

can you explain more !!! 

thanks

pieterh
VIP
VIP

What is not clear?

it just an object that sits in the way, just as it would do for the light of a lamp.
if the camera is mounted on the ceiling at a reasonable distance from the access point (1m or more) it has no noticeable impact on the Wi-Fi signal at floor level.

WIRELESS IP-cam's (as in the link you refered to) can interfere with the signal of an accesspoint

But the Cisco camera's are all WIRED models, so they DO NOT transmit WIRELESS signals.
so as seen from wireless perspective there is NO wireless signal INTERFERENCE from the camera to the access point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

French webcast-routing