cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Introduction

Configuration Guidelines to setup APPLE TV with Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (WLC)

Solution

Apple TV uses multicast application to communicate between the apple  products and needs multicast to be enabled on the wired and wireless.

Here is the guidelines to get the Apple TV working with the Cisco WLC.

Its a 2 step process

1>> Configure Multicast on the WLC

2>> Configure Wired network to support Multicast.

CONFIGURING MULTICAST ON WLC

>> Cisco WLC supports Multicast in 2 modes, use either one of them--- Preferred Multicast-Multicast mode

1> Multicast

Multicast mode requires Multicast group IP address to be configure  and this IP address should be a multicast IP and is used only to  communicate between the WLC and the AP and nothing else.

2> Unicast

Unicast is kind of obsolete and its just a broadcast and no extra  configs are need to be done apart from enabling this mode on the WLC.

>> After the Multicast mode, DON'T FORGET to enable GLOBAL MULTICAST and the IGMP Snooping on the WLC

CONFIGURING MULTICAST ON WIRED

>> Global multicast routing on the router along with PIM under  the client VLAN, The WLC management VLAN, AP manager VLAN, AP Vlan.

This will do the Job..

Example config using Multicast-Multicast Mode

Topology

6500 Core Switch ------------ WISM ---------- AP )))) (((((( Wireless Client using Apple TV

))))) ((((((( Wireless Client Using Apple TV

VLANs Used

VLAN 40 -- WLC Management, AP manager and AP Vlan

VLAN 50 -- Client VLAN.

Configs on the router for Multicast routing and the PIM

Enable Multicast routing

6504-WLCBUG#sh run | i mul
ip multicast-routing

Enable PIM on Client VLAN, AP VLAN, WLC management VLAN and the AP MANAGER VLAN

Current configuration : 121 bytes
!
interface Vlan40
description // Management Vlan //
ip address 10.105.135.136 255.255.255.128
ip pim dense-mode
end

6504-WLCBUG#sh run int vlan 50
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 119 bytes
!
interface Vlan50
description // Client VLAN //
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim dense-mode
end

Configs on the WLC for Multicast support

>> Configure Multicast-Multicast mode and specify the Multicast Group Address

>> Enable Multicast Global and IGMP snooping

Check the APPLE TV app on the IPAD, this will not be grayed out like before and works just fine!!

Comments
Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for posting this Surendra.  Great reference!

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks Scott!!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cool!  +5

Jaaazman777
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the article!

It is really great, but didn't help me.

I have WLC installed on ISM-SRE-300 module.

WLC and 2911 router are configured according to this article. Vlan 1 and vlan 50 (for clients) are hosted on 2911 router.

Apple TV server and iPad are situated in one L3 segment, Ipad can ping Apple TV

What else can we do?

aaroncoffman
Level 1
Level 1

Is this guide based on a FlexConnect (H-REAP) deployment guide or local mode?

The reason I pose this question is we're running into some interesting issues with a FlexConnect deployment in which Bonjour works for about 10 minutes and then times out. It's my understanding that if a Bonjour device doesn't respond it will stop broadcasting it's information to conserve network traffic until it "hears" a Bonjour "query". The issue we're having is the Bonjour devices don't seem to either be recieving or responding to the "query".

We've done all that you reccomend and we're running into a discovery problem.

Our next step is likely going to be to follow Cisco's technotes of deploying a Bonjour gateway on an ubuntu server unless you've found better alternatives.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

I have Apple TV's on my Cisco wireless network and am able to see them with the iPads if the iPads are on the same subnet as the Apple TV but not if the iPads are on a different subnet. I would like the iPads that are on a different subnet to see the Apple TV's that are on the other subnet as well. Is this possible? Please help.Thanks.

Chris.

aaroncoffman
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

Rumor has it Cisco is going to put a bonjour gateway into their WLC in an upcoming release. I haven't had the opportunity to verify whether or not it's in 7.3.101 (released today). If it is I overlooked it in the release notes.

Once they do that things are going to be working much better.

However, for your particular issue you'll want to post this in the support forums, perhaps on a new thread if you cannot find other posts that sound like your depolyment. 

Yep,

Aaron

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Aaron,

Thanks for the update on that. A bonjour gateway would be incredible. However, in the meantime I found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: