Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Refer to the following Cisco.com articles for recommendations for AireOS software running on Wireless LAN Controllers:

Use the discussion thread below for any questions.

Comments
Mohammad Setan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for sharing these info.

If it is possibel, can you please comment if we have any issues with 8.0.110.14 with 3700AP  and 1570AP models, in addition to VoWLAN with this version, I am in a phase to connect 2000 AP's (3700 model) and 500 AP's (1570 model), and there will be VoWLAN services in addition to location tracking.

Many Thanks

Mohammad Setan

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mohammad,

I believe v8.0MR2 will be released very soon. The question you need to answer is if your comfortable using an escalation image or a new MR2 code. What code are you running now and are you having issues currently. Many times a code upgrade will not fix an issue unless that code specifically fixed a bug you were on.  If your on a code that is stable, then I personally would wait a month or so and monitor the forums to see if others are running into issues. When asking about issues for VoWLAN, there are so many things that affect a deployment and every site install can be different.  End to end QoS, code on the wireless phones, etc.  if your are experiencing issues currently, try to fix those issue first and or open a TAC case for them to help, but I would wait a while before using a new code version.

-Scott

Mohammad Setan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the reply.

Actually I am in phase of a new installation not existing one, so I am trying to install the best image for the new deployment, so I am doing extra efforts in checking all the bugs in each image, for the latest image 8.0.110.14, it contains a lot of fixes, but I am not aware about the bugs that are hitting this version.

The recommended one per Cisco is 7.6.130.* but that one is not compatible with AP1570 model.

Running escalation image is not a bad idea in case it is stable, but once we have official release then I need to upgrade, and it will cause a down time, I am trying to eliminate this option as much as I can.

Kind Regards

Mohammad Setan

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everyone once to avoid adding more downtown:) the issue also is ap models that force you to run a code train that maybe you shouldn't.  I have ran the escalation image that you need to get from TAC, but with any image, you can always run into a bug that might not be publicly published or documented. Since you are forced to use the v8.x, then you either should use the escalation image or wait for the published v8.0MR2 which should have all the fixes in the escalation image. The issue is if you start at the escalation image, when should you upgrade then and vice versa. If your on the MR2 for example and you run into issues, do you now downgrade to the escalation image or not.  I personally would go with the escalation image and wait until MR2 is baked in. If your supporting the environment then it might be okay to use the MR2 as you can get feedback from end users and downgrade if possible. You can always have both images on the WLC so all you need to do is switch the boot and reboot the WLC's. Make sure the AP's have both code available to them.

-Scott

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

An update for anyone worried about this one (CSCuu46611) - we now believe that this is the same issue as CSCut83556 (Reaper Reset Locked by apfReceiveTask), which is fixed as of 8.0.110.12, and so this is fixed now in 8.0.110.14 (and will also be fixed in the 8.0MR2 CCO release when it posts later this month.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Toivo Voll
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, Aaron!

Chawki Ozeir
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to upgrade to 8.0.115.0 from 7.6.130.0 and would appreciate  your recommendation if I should proceed or there would better code to deploy

frmejiugr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chawki,

Why would you prefer to upgrade to 8.0.115.0 instead of 8.0.120.0 available from yesterday? 8.0.120.0 has a lot of bugs resolved from 8.0.115.0

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12492986/80mr2-beta-availability

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn80mr2.html#pgfId-1273078

And this is the answer from Javier Contreras to a question like yours:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12492986/80mr2-beta-availability#comment-10631801

Regards.

mscottini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello frmejiugr,

The TAC recommended the 8.0.110.16. Do you know if the last version 8.0.120.0 include all the 8.0.110.16 (special build) fixes and 8.0.115.0 too?

Regards.

mmccarte
Level 1
Level 1

I assume now that 8.0.120.0 is released that will be the new Go-To version, correct?? Has the 7.6.130.x version changed??

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Definitely consider running the new 8.0.120.0 release, in preference to 8.0.115.0.

Aaron

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

8.0.120.0 is definitely the go-to 8.0 CCO version.  We will monitor it over the next couple of weeks before making a recommendation.

On the 7.6 front, we still generally recommend the 7.6.130.26 ESC build for now.

Best,

Aaron

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

8.0.120.0 does not have all of the fixes in 8.0.110.16 (on the other hand, it has some fixes that are not in 8.0.110.16.)  We will update the 8.0.120.0 release notes to make this clearer.

Aaron

Chawki Ozeir
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your recommendation I will use 8.0.120.0 instead

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Well 8.0.120.0 doesn't address all the issues in previous release. I suggest to all who are working in enterprise ,try using stable release unless and untill new release proven to be bug free and properly tested before doing an upgrade in production.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: