cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

This video explains the different methods that Lightweight Access Points (LAP) use in order to discover Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs). The video also explains the registration process that happens between the LAP and the WLC after the discovery phase.

10 Comments
Emmanuel_91
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful video. I would like to know how the LAP receives an I.P address.

I am having trouble getting an LAP to receive an I.P from a Cisco wireless controller 5508.

The LAP is connected to a switch that the controller is also connected to and they are both in the same vlan.

The WLC has a dhcp scope but the A.P is not accepting an I.P from the WLC.

Any advice is appreciated..

enyamutenha
Level 1
Level 1

Great video, simple and straight forward. I'd like to more about layer 2 and layer 3 roaming. I have a good understanding of the idea but i'd really want to know what happens behind the scenes.

Hi Emmanuel,

If your controller and AP are in same Vlan and the gateway for this VLAN is configured on some L3 device then it will recieve the IP from the DHCP where the vlan is pointing to..If you want to recieve the IP from the controller so the L3 interface for that vlan should be in controller itself instead of in any other L3 device..

Hope it will help...

Henning-Kihle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I have problems registrating an access point (1310G) with my WLAN controller. It should be used for bridging.

• The DNS is configured with the appropriate CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.
  • The access point has been on the controller before, but is now on another subnet and ahs been reset to factory def.
  • The controller in use is the 5508

I do hope that any solution is available

Hi Henning,

What is the version of the WLC? could it be required to make the DNS entry as capwap instead of lwap.

Regards

Mohammad,

Henning-Kihle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mohammad

That could be the case yes, the version is 7.0.230.0

And yes we are using capwap

Henning

VRAI
Level 1
Level 1

has the video been taken down ?

woops, tried IE  as chrome wasnt playing it

dvharley00
Level 1
Level 1

hi Rajesh,

Can you help me please, i have WLC 5508 with 35 LAP 1042n, Our core switch is an alcatel 6850, and all switch in our hospital are alcatel lucent 6450, core switch have an dhcp for all vlan, and everything works fine.....

The problem is we upgrade our servers and configure new dhcp with windows 2012 r2, all vlan receive ip, but the LAP dont connect to wlc, and dont take an ip for ap vlan.

I have to configure option 43 for the lap?...

jeffmaki1
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting the error as shown below, How do I move forward and assign the IP address?

I am using cisco aironet 1700 series AP, Please help

*Mar  1 00:11:44.499: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC. Either IP address is not assigned or assigned IP is wrong. Renewing DHCP IP.
*Mar  1 00:12:34.499: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC. Either IP address is not assigned or assigned IP is wrong. Renewing DHCP IP.
*Mar  1 00:13:24.499: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC. Either IP address is not assigned or assigned IP is wrong. Renewing DHCP IP

Pardeepbhardwaj
Level 1
Level 1

Very Nice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

French webcast-routing