cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1552E - A -K9 AP

kwoodworth
Level 1
Level 1

Right now I have a lab setup with a couple of these AP's.

They are both doing DHCP to get their IP address from a 5508.

How do I set a static IP address on the AP? I cannot for the life of

me figure out how to do it.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to Wireless > Select the AP.  on the General tab there should be a section in the lower right of the screen that has a check box for static IP.  Hit the box, set and save.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to Wireless > Select the AP.  on the General tab there should be a section in the lower right of the screen that has a check box for static IP.  Hit the box, set and save.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I have been thinking from the CLI point of view on the AP. I should have clarified.

When I see people mention to 'prime' an AP before it goes out what does that

mean exactly?

It seems that when a new MAP is powered up it will associate with the RAP and

WLC, and get its IP via DHCP.

At that point it can be configured, put into groups etc.

This network will have a RAP or two and eventually a few dozen MAPs.

Is it better to have static IP's for the MAP AP's? And what are the best practice

for RAP's to MAP ratio? 1 RAP for every 10 MAP? 20?

Thanks!

"Priminig" has to do with getting the AP connected to to the WLC prior to having it mounted on a pole, makes it way easier to troubleshoot.

Personally, I prefer to let the AP get DHCP, that way if i need to make changes it's easier. Also APs will fall back to DHCP if they can't get to the WLC.  Since all monitoring/mgmt comes from the WLC, I just don't see the point in statically assigning IP anymore.

For the ratio, I like a 1 to 4-6 RAP to MAP ratio design.  This allows AWPP to recover the MESH decently if you have a failure.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thanks very much. We had a complete site survey done of where to place AP's, but one of the

things that did not seem to get covered was RAP to MAP ratio and its going to be quite a large

area that we plan on covering with wireless.

Thanks.

It's a good idea also not to have more than 3 hops. I prefer to just have one to be honest but two at the most.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card