Views
Helpful
Replies

1562i AP not detecting PoE Injector

cameron.barr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got 3x 1562i's all connected to the same SG300-10MPP Switch. All three have AIR-PWRINJ-60RGD2= installed to power them. These are also all joined to a AIR-CT5520-K9 WLC

Switch Firmware: 1.4.11.4

WLC Firmware: 8.5.120.0

The APs are booting up, not detecting that they have  PoE injector, doing CDP negotiations with the sg300, and reporting that they only have medium power (as the sg300-10mpp has PoE+ not UPoE). I only managed to get medium power, as before when PoE was disabled on those switchports the APs were detecting no PoE, going into low power mode and shutting the radios off.

See a snippet from the AP Logs:

May 27 09:19:00 kernel: [*05/27/2020 09:19:00.6043]
May 27 09:19:04 kernel: [*05/27/2020 09:19:04.4039] waiting for POE negotiation to complete
May 27 09:19:04 kernel: [*05/27/2020 09:19:04.4039]
May 27 09:19:05 brain: CDP PoE negotiation OK, Allocated power 30000 mWatt Requested power 29900 mWatt
May 27 09:19:05 brain: CDP UPoE required but not supported by PSE/Switch.
May 27 09:19:05 brain: Power mode: Full-Power, power_detection: DC_adapter(FALSE), 802.3AF_POE(TRUE)

I have many other 1562s on this site working as intended, but these are connected to SG350 series switches.

What can I do to resolve this? Ideally I'd like to have the APs detect the injector and think it is in full power mode. obviously with medium power the APs are working and the radios are up but this is not a perfect solution.

What I've already tried:

• Setting Power injector status to override - on boot Power status is injector - but radios are down, after CDP negotiation fails it goes into low power mode
  • Setting Power injector status to installed - no change
  • Setting Pre-standard 802.3af switches - no change
  • Disabling CDP/LLDP on switchports - AP goes into low power mode
  • Disabling CDP on APs - AP goes into low power mode
  • Factory Resetting APs - no change
8 Replies 8

cameron.barr
Level 1
Level 1
Just as a note as well, if I issue the command 'config ap power injector enable <AP NAME> installed' I still see PoE Power Injector MAC Addr..........Disabled when I show ap config general <AP NAME>

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@cameron.barr wrote:

AIR-PWRINJ-60RGD2

Have a close look at the AIR-PWRINJ-60RGD2 and see the manufacturer.  Is this made by Microsemi or Phihong USA?  

If I remembered correctly, the 1560 is compatible with the ones made by Microsemi.

The site is in a different country, so checking this may take some time.

I can note though, the injector is working - no PoE is actually being drawn from the switch (verified using show power inline consumption).

If it is a Phihong USA manufactured one - would we still see the AP not draw any power from the switch?

This is a known "bug" with the injector which the developers "don't have the time" to fix.
The Phihong-made injectors do not support CDP/LLDP.

Which is strange because Phihong website clearly have options for various injectors that support LLDP/CDP or they don't.  For unknown reasons, Cisco got Phihong to supply the injectors that don't.  

That's annoying! Do you have have some official source saying this? I couldn't find anything from a google

I had a TAC Case when the 1562i first came out.
The response from TAC/developer was: It's a known "issue" and they are not in a hurry to fix it.
NOTE: Maybe someone mistakenly signed a contract with Phihong for the supply of power injectors that do not talk CDP/LLDP. Who knows.

I found this related discussion that Leo was part of a few years back ;)
https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/power-injector-for-ap1562i/td-p/3178126/page/2

Yup. That's the one.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card