cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3800s and C9130AXI-EWC

EdCarmody
Level 1
Level 1

I have (3) 3802i APs that run in Mobility Express mode. I would like to add an 802.11ax C9130AXI-EWC AP running an EWC to the network. I have a few questions:

• I would just convert the MEs to lightweight to join the EWC?
  • Do the 3800s need an AP DNA license of some sort to join the EWC on the C9130?
  • Is there a command on the AP to check to see what DNA licensing the 3800s might have shipped with?
  • Could I alternatively join the C9130 to the ME controller and lose the EWC and DNA licenses? Edit: by "lose" I mean "not have to purchase"

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

• I would just convert the MEs to lightweight to join the EWC?
    Yes, you should be able to convert 3802 to CAPWAP & let them join 9130 EWC
  • Do the 3800s need an AP DNA license of some sort to join the EWC on the C9130?
    No. You should be able to register 100 AP to EWC without needing any additional licenses on EWC
  • Is there a command on the AP to check to see what DNA licensing the 3800s might have shipped with?
    I do not think license is attached to hardware anymore. 
  • Could I alternatively join the C9130 to the ME controller and lose the EWC and DNA licenses?
    when you buy 9130, I am sure you bought it with DNA-Essential or DNA-Advantage license. As long as that license is attached to your smart license portal, EWC will use that.  Since hardware is not bound to any licenses, you will not loose where the ap register.

Refer below additional reference info on EWC

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-o6-embded-wrls-cont-ds-cte-en.html 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.pdf 

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you that was helpful. 

But from the EWC datasheet: "In order to connect any access points to the embedded wireless controller, Cisco DNA software subscription licenses are required. Every access point connecting to the embedded wireless controller requires a Cisco DNA software subscription license. Subscription licenses are purchased when a customer buys an access point. In most cases, this is a mandatory attach."

These 3800s were purchased as Mobility Express, I believe, and I am not sure they would have had DNA subscription licenses attached, and they probably would have expired by now anyhow.  I'm not sure who even set up the smart licensing on them (if that was even done), and I'm not sure I can track that down anymore.

But from the EWC datasheet: "In order to connect any access points to the embedded wireless controller, Cisco DNA software subscription licenses are required. Every access point connecting to the embedded wireless controller requires a Cisco DNA software subscription license. Subscription licenses are purchased when a customer buys an access point. In most cases, this is a mandatory attach."
- Agreed - Cisco clearly says that DNA license per AP is *required*.

These 3800s were purchased as Mobility Express, I believe, and I am not sure they would have had DNA subscription licenses attached, and they probably would have expired by now anyhow. I'm not sure who even set up the smart licensing on them (if that was even done), and I'm not sure I can track that down anymore.
- Depends when you bought them. Previously DNA license wasn't mandatory, but I believe it is now for all APs. Which means that as far as Cisco is concerned you must BUY a DNA license for each AP you intend to connect to the EWC. There may be some promotional deals for those licenses to encourage you to migrate but you'd need to speak to your Cisco account manager or 3rd party reseller to find out about that.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Take a look at the FAQ if you haven’t. Might answer majorly of your questions.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.pdf
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card