Views
Helpful
Replies

3802i waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway

chisss
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to configure these new 3802s we got but when I plug them in, all I keep getting is "waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway"

When i do capwap ap ip address and type the ip, subnet and default gateway or just IP and subnet I get "Error: invalid ip/netmask/gateway config." nothing takes. 

Any suggestions? the current VLAN doesn't assign IPs via DHCP and that's how we have all other APs (again these 3802s are new to us) 

AP Running Image     : 8.2.151.0

Thanks

32 Replies 32

Hi

I think you just got an Bug:

AP3800 - AP stucks in 'waiting for uplink ip address'
CSCva34879

The 'good news' is that there´s no fix for that until now.  You can try to use DHCP just for this guy and see what happen.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Do you have DHCP Option 43 enabled? If yes, then this is a known issue with the 2800/3800.
The only way to fix this is to constantly reboot the AP until it gets an IP address. I have seen this behaviour present until 8.5.

I do have DHCP option 43 enabled. Looks like 50 reloads didn't help. If DHCP option 43 was disabled, would it be any help?

@DominikKristof wrote:

I do have DHCP option 43 enabled. Looks like 50 reloads didn't help. If DHCP option 43 was disabled, would it be any help?

Disabling DHCP option 43 would only make things worst.

Hard to imagine for me how it can be worse than it is when WAP is not usable. But still wonder why you mentioned option 43 in your first comment.

@DominikKristof wrote:

Hard to imagine for me how it can be worse than it is when WAP is not usable. But still wonder why you mentioned option 43 in your first comment.

Cisco APs use DHCP Option 43 to find their WLC.  
Without DHCP Option 43, one must console into each AP and "instruct" the AP which WLC to go to. 

You should consider opening a TAC Case with Cisco.

I had the same issue with a couple of 3802is and it ended up being a bug that was rectified by hardware upgrade.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/701/fn70143.html

Let me know if this helps.

Regards

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

I've just run in to the same issue. Same model AP, same firmware version. Consistant accross 4 seperate batches of APs (running multiple projects at a large International Airport. Not happy!

Have tried rebooting a number of times and can't get any of them to work. Other models and/or versions of code are working fine.

-Brett

Brett,
Is TAC also pointing to that same bug ID for your case? What code are you running on the controller by the way?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The 2800/3800 are different "beasts". These are more Linux-based than the previous "generation". Once the AP's DHCP process crashes, it won't get the IP address.
What kind of DHCP server do you have?
What firmware is the AP running on (can be found in the "sh version" command)?

Ok so I put it on another wireless VLAN that does get DHCP, gets an IP and everything but then when it gets stuck at this:

[*09/15/2017 00:23:14.5772] CAPWAP State: Discovery
[*09/15/2017 00:23:14.5811] Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255, discovery type UNKNOWN(0)
[*09/15/2017 00:23:24.0798] CAPWAP State: Discovery
[*09/15/2017 00:23:24.0914] Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255, discovery type UNKNOWN(0)

When I try to configure the controller IP it doesn't take the old way as by doing capwap ap controller ip address 10.0.14.81 like the other APs I configured so I looked and seems like you're supposed to use Capwap ap primary-base ip address 10.0.14.81 but when I do that, I get this: 

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
#Capwap ap primary-base ip address 10.0.14.81

^ (meaning it doesn't like the IP address) 

When I type ? for help it says WORD 

Then I tried capwap ap primary-base 10.0.14.81 and tells me incomplete command. It's so frustrating lol

The controller's Software version is 7.0.240.0 

Is there a way to enable the web interface on these things? the method I read online doesn't even exist on this 

@chisss wrote:

The controller's Software version is 7.0.240.0  

Hold on, this won't work.  2800/3800 require the controller to be running, at least, 8.0.152.0.

GAH! well that makes things a little more difficult... Thanks for the input! I'll see what I need to do now.

One way is to turn the AP into a mini-WLC, aka Cisco Mobility Express.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: