Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC Service Port address update/change

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

It is my guess that one can the Service Port IP address..  when ever, without causing/needing a reboot..  Yes or No?

I have a standalone LAB unit that I changed the SP ip on and the GUI (on mgnt ip) dropped out..  unit still pinged..

When I arrived on-site, the wlc was online.  I could find no log entries to validate a restart occurred.

I have 2 HA pairs to tweak and I was going to CLI in and issue config interface address service-port  update to each device but if they need to reboot, I will leave them disconnected

tia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can make changes with no issues. The documentation in regard to the service port will state to not have it routable with the management. This is only for OOB and should be on a segregated network if connected.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4
oh, I have changed the IP 3 times alredy without loosing GUI link. So maybe first event was a fluke..

Changing that should not affect anything. The only way it would affect anything is if that was connected to the network and was routable to the management interface.
-Scott

Thank you Scott,
But I wonder what affect the ability for the 2 segments to talk to each
other has on life.
I would think the systems would have no inherent reason to talk to it's
service port..

Ok, what do you think you about making the cli adjustment to SP
address in an active HA pair..
can I do it or do I have to disable HA/sso first.

You can make changes with no issues. The documentation in regard to the service port will state to not have it routable with the management. This is only for OOB and should be on a segregated network if connected.
-Scott

That was easy..  The HA Programmers accounted for this need.  They forgot the occasional need to change NAT address's and we have to disable sso with a reboot...

thank you again..

Sometimes you can get away from downtime by making the change, manually issue a force failover on the primary. When the secondary comes back up, you can then make the changes on that. Then issues another force failover.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card