cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11G clients with weak signal strength

woodfidt
Level 1
Level 1

We use Intermec hand held devices, model CK31, for inventory.  We are converting our wireless sites from "autonomous" access points to LWAPP access points in conjunction with WLCMs.  I have noticed a significant drop in signal coverage going from autonomous to LWAPP.  Doesn't seem to effect the 802.11n devices.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience this problem.

Information:

WLCM ver 7.0.230.0

AP 1142N and 1242G

Client:  Win7 and Intermec CK31s                  

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well when you go from autonomous to LWAPP, there is one thing that is very different.  You go from a static TX power and Channel to a dynamic TX and Channel... called RRM.  You need to maybe set the max and min TX power on the 802.11abgn radios or maybe hard set the power on the AP's.  Either way you need to look to see what RRM is setting your TX power level to.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You can set the dbm for the max and min here:

802.11b > RRM > Tx Power Control(TPC)

802.11a > RRM > Tx Power Control(TPC)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott, I checked the settings.  It was set to the defaults 30 and -10, but I previously manually changed the power setting (max power) on an access point that the Intermec device was connected to and it had no affect. 

What is the ap tx level now ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Make sure you enable all the data rates for 802.11b/g.

Max power on the AP globally is 1. That is what all the APs are set to?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card